Are certain breeds predisposed to heart problems?

  • S Zacher
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2002
      While we were doing research last week in an effort to
      save my friend's Ragdoll, Jazz, I had found a link
      talking about Ragdolls as predisposed to heart
      problems and HCM. While I don't know if there is any
      truth to this, it did prompt the question...are there
      other breeds that might be predisposed to various
      conditions? Does anyone have a link that sheds light
      on this question or know of anything like this?
      Thanks,
      Stacy, Keesa and Spanky

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 8, 2002
        --- S Zacher <szegatti@...> wrote:
        >are
        > there
        > other breeds that might be predisposed to various
        > conditions?

        I have read about Maine Coons mostly, but also seen
        one reference to American Shorthairs. My 2 yr old was
        at least part Silver Classic Tabby in his markings
        though he was adopted from a stray/feral adoption
        program. I read that the genetics of the disease only
        requires one parent with the gene.

        Anyone else have an American Shorthair with the
        disease?

        Susan

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/