RE: [FH] Help!! Need advice quickly

  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2002
      I strongly suggest that your friend get this poor kitty to a vet
      cardiologist ASAP. It is, of course, possible that there is
      nothing that can be done for this cat. But, most heart problems
      can be managed quite well, often for many, many years. The
      cardiologist is the best way to get a definitive diangosis &
      understand treatment options.

      Your friend can start here as one way of dfind a cardiologist:

      http://www.acvim.org/Kittleson/search.htm

      Please keep us informed.

    • elanonuevo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2002
        In a message dated 4/4/2002 12:02:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        szegatti@... writes:

        > My friend did some
        > research and found that fluid might mean advanced
        > heart problems and is considering PTS

        Stacy, we just discovered this with our Ozzie on March 17th. All vets that
        we took him to suggested he be PTS. We finally found one that worked with us
        and he's doing GREAT eighteen days later. He will be on meds for the rest of
        his life and his life will probably be shorter but we are grateful for every
        extra day we have. :)

        Helen's website helped me tremendously. <A HREF="http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#Hypertrophic%20cardiomyopathy">Tanya's UK Feline Chronic Renal
        Failure/related-diseases</A> This link discusses cardiomyopathy, which is what
        Ozzie has.

        Tia

      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2002
          where are you located geogrpahically be c many of us here know cardio vets
          or vet schools thru out the usa as so many of us have had problems.....pts
          now is too drastic a measure....there is so much help you can still
          access/....

          linda

          szegatti@... writes:

          > My friend did some
          > research and found that fluid might mean advanced
          > heart problems and is considering PTS

          Stacy, we just discovered this with our Ozzie on March 17th. All vets that
          we took him to suggested he be PTS. We finally found one that worked with
          us
          and he's doing GREAT eighteen days later. He will be on meds for the rest
          of
          his life and his life will probably be shorter but we are grateful for every
          extra day we have. :)

          Helen's website helped me tremendously. <A
          HREF="http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#Hypertrophic%20cardiomyo
          pathy">Tanya's UK Feline Chronic Renal
          Failure/related-diseases</A> This link discusses cardiomyopathy, which is
          what
          Ozzie has.

          Tia

        • szegatti
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2002
            Linda:

            We are located in Wisconsin. The closest cardio vet I found is in
            Madison about 60-75 minutes away. I called the emergency referral
            service here in Milwaukee and they said they didn't know of any
            cardiologists specifically in this area which astounds me. Milwaukee
            is a medium sized metropolitan area (about 600,000 people) so I can't
            imagine why there aren't any vets specializing in cardiology. If
            anyone know of any, please let me know. I'd like to find one for my
            own kitty, Spanky (who has a very rough time just traveling 20 minutes
            in the car).

            So far, what we found about my coworker's 2 yr old Ragdoll is that he
            has chylothorax. The preliminary test results of the fluid came back
            as the fluid being a form of chyle They have to do one more test
            against the fluid to prove it out. I sent her all the posts in the
            archives I found when I did a search. If anyone has anything to add
            about chylothorax that would be great.
            Thanks for all your help.
            Stacy, Spanky and Keesa

            --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
            > where are you located geogrpahically be c many of us here know
            cardio vets
            > or vet schools thru out the usa as so many of us have had
            problems.....pts
            > now is too drastic a measure....there is so much help you can still
            > access/....
            >
            > linda

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2002
              THEN TRY A REALLY GOOD INTERNAL MEDS VET.....THAT'S WHAT PUM SEES....AND I
              THINK HE DOES A BETTER JOB THAN THE CARDIOVET....

              GOOD LUCK WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOURS,

            • sallymerlin
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2002
                In doing research for my kitty I had a conversation today with my vet
                just after she had a cardio consult with a cardiovet at Cornell. I had
                asked about the drug "Rutin" as it had been suggested it might help my
                kitty's ascites (fluid in the abdomen)...the Cardiovet from Cornell
                said no, that Rutin IS good for chylothorax.

                Perhaps you can ask your vits about it.

                Good luck to you and your friend!

                Sally and Muffin