Re: Help!! Need advice quickly

  • marcijoy2002
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2002
      I am very new at this, as my kitty Morris was diagnosed less than 2
      weeks ago, but I don't think it's time to PTS just yet, before she's
      even tried treating the heart condition--medication, diet, etc. I
      don't know how advanced your friend's Ragdoll's condition is, but
      I've heard some very inspiring stories about cats with heart problems
      that had very bad crises and made miraculous recoveries.

      At the risk of possibly pissing some people off, to be honest, it
      kind of bothers me that your friend is considering PTS before she's
      even discussed the diagnosis or treatment options with her vet. If
      the vet already told her the condition was hopeless, it was only
      going to get worse, medication wouldn't help, the cat is only going
      to suffer needlessly, that would be different. If your friend feels
      that she can't afford treatment, there are financial aid options.

      Marcia and Morris

      --- In feline-heart@y..., S Zacher <szegatti@y...> wrote:
      > Hi:
      >
      > I am posting for a friend at work who just took her 2
      > year old Ragdoll kitty in yesterday due to kitty's
      > belabored breathing. The kitty had fluid around the
      > heart and lungs. The vet sent the fluid off to be
      > analyzed after draining it. My friend did some
      > research and found that fluid might mean advanced
      > heart problems and is considering PTS. I told her
      > about this list also.
      >
      > Could anyone direct me to any links that describe what
      > retaining fluids might mean? Her kitty also had an
      > enlarged heart I believe. In the meantime, I will
      > search the archives for info but I wanted to get
      > something to her quickly.
      > Thanks for all your help, you are great!
      >
      > Stacy, Spanky and Keesa

      > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2002
        I strongly suggest that your friend get this poor kitty to a vet
        cardiologist ASAP. It is, of course, possible that there is
        nothing that can be done for this cat. But, most heart problems
        can be managed quite well, often for many, many years. The
        cardiologist is the best way to get a definitive diangosis &
        understand treatment options.

        Your friend can start here as one way of dfind a cardiologist:

        http://www.acvim.org/Kittleson/search.htm

        Please keep us informed.

      • elanonuevo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2002
          In a message dated 4/4/2002 12:02:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          szegatti@... writes:

          > My friend did some
          > research and found that fluid might mean advanced
          > heart problems and is considering PTS

          Stacy, we just discovered this with our Ozzie on March 17th. All vets that
          we took him to suggested he be PTS. We finally found one that worked with us
          and he's doing GREAT eighteen days later. He will be on meds for the rest of
          his life and his life will probably be shorter but we are grateful for every
          extra day we have. :)

          Helen's website helped me tremendously. <A HREF="http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#Hypertrophic%20cardiomyopathy">Tanya's UK Feline Chronic Renal
          Failure/related-diseases</A> This link discusses cardiomyopathy, which is what
          Ozzie has.

          Tia

        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2002
            where are you located geogrpahically be c many of us here know cardio vets
            or vet schools thru out the usa as so many of us have had problems.....pts
            now is too drastic a measure....there is so much help you can still
            access/....

            linda

            szegatti@... writes:

            > My friend did some
            > research and found that fluid might mean advanced
            > heart problems and is considering PTS

            Stacy, we just discovered this with our Ozzie on March 17th. All vets that
            we took him to suggested he be PTS. We finally found one that worked with
            us
            and he's doing GREAT eighteen days later. He will be on meds for the rest
            of
            his life and his life will probably be shorter but we are grateful for every
            extra day we have. :)

            Helen's website helped me tremendously. <A
            HREF="http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#Hypertrophic%20cardiomyo
            pathy">Tanya's UK Feline Chronic Renal
            Failure/related-diseases</A> This link discusses cardiomyopathy, which is
            what
            Ozzie has.

            Tia

          • szegatti
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2002
              Linda:

              We are located in Wisconsin. The closest cardio vet I found is in
              Madison about 60-75 minutes away. I called the emergency referral
              service here in Milwaukee and they said they didn't know of any
              cardiologists specifically in this area which astounds me. Milwaukee
              is a medium sized metropolitan area (about 600,000 people) so I can't
              imagine why there aren't any vets specializing in cardiology. If
              anyone know of any, please let me know. I'd like to find one for my
              own kitty, Spanky (who has a very rough time just traveling 20 minutes
              in the car).

              So far, what we found about my coworker's 2 yr old Ragdoll is that he
              has chylothorax. The preliminary test results of the fluid came back
              as the fluid being a form of chyle They have to do one more test
              against the fluid to prove it out. I sent her all the posts in the
              archives I found when I did a search. If anyone has anything to add
              about chylothorax that would be great.
              Thanks for all your help.
              Stacy, Spanky and Keesa

              --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
              > where are you located geogrpahically be c many of us here know
              cardio vets
              > or vet schools thru out the usa as so many of us have had
              problems.....pts
              > now is too drastic a measure....there is so much help you can still
              > access/....
              >
              > linda

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Mike & Linda Irrgang
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2002
                THEN TRY A REALLY GOOD INTERNAL MEDS VET.....THAT'S WHAT PUM SEES....AND I
                THINK HE DOES A BETTER JOB THAN THE CARDIOVET....

                GOOD LUCK WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOURS,

              • sallymerlin
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2002
                  In doing research for my kitty I had a conversation today with my vet
                  just after she had a cardio consult with a cardiovet at Cornell. I had
                  asked about the drug "Rutin" as it had been suggested it might help my
                  kitty's ascites (fluid in the abdomen)...the Cardiovet from Cornell
                  said no, that Rutin IS good for chylothorax.

                  Perhaps you can ask your vits about it.

                  Good luck to you and your friend!

                  Sally and Muffin