Help!! Need advice quickly

  • S Zacher
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4 9:00 AM
      Hi:

      I am posting for a friend at work who just took her 2
      year old Ragdoll kitty in yesterday due to kitty's
      belabored breathing. The kitty had fluid around the
      heart and lungs. The vet sent the fluid off to be
      analyzed after draining it. My friend did some
      research and found that fluid might mean advanced
      heart problems and is considering PTS. I told her
      about this list also.

      Could anyone direct me to any links that describe what
      retaining fluids might mean? Her kitty also had an
      enlarged heart I believe. In the meantime, I will
      search the archives for info but I wanted to get
      something to her quickly.
      Thanks for all your help, you are great!

      Stacy, Spanky and Keesa

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Lynnie Henderson
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4 9:35 AM
        Here's a link to general heart disease info:
        http://www.specialneedspets.org/cats.htm
      • marcijoy2002
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4 9:58 AM
          I am very new at this, as my kitty Morris was diagnosed less than 2
          weeks ago, but I don't think it's time to PTS just yet, before she's
          even tried treating the heart condition--medication, diet, etc. I
          don't know how advanced your friend's Ragdoll's condition is, but
          I've heard some very inspiring stories about cats with heart problems
          that had very bad crises and made miraculous recoveries.

          At the risk of possibly pissing some people off, to be honest, it
          kind of bothers me that your friend is considering PTS before she's
          even discussed the diagnosis or treatment options with her vet. If
          the vet already told her the condition was hopeless, it was only
          going to get worse, medication wouldn't help, the cat is only going
          to suffer needlessly, that would be different. If your friend feels
          that she can't afford treatment, there are financial aid options.

          Marcia and Morris

          --- In feline-heart@y..., S Zacher <szegatti@y...> wrote:
          > Hi:
          >
          > I am posting for a friend at work who just took her 2
          > year old Ragdoll kitty in yesterday due to kitty's
          > belabored breathing. The kitty had fluid around the
          > heart and lungs. The vet sent the fluid off to be
          > analyzed after draining it. My friend did some
          > research and found that fluid might mean advanced
          > heart problems and is considering PTS. I told her
          > about this list also.
          >
          > Could anyone direct me to any links that describe what
          > retaining fluids might mean? Her kitty also had an
          > enlarged heart I believe. In the meantime, I will
          > search the archives for info but I wanted to get
          > something to her quickly.
          > Thanks for all your help, you are great!
          >
          > Stacy, Spanky and Keesa

          > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Jonathan Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4 10:31 AM
            I strongly suggest that your friend get this poor kitty to a vet
            cardiologist ASAP. It is, of course, possible that there is
            nothing that can be done for this cat. But, most heart problems
            can be managed quite well, often for many, many years. The
            cardiologist is the best way to get a definitive diangosis &
            understand treatment options.

            Your friend can start here as one way of dfind a cardiologist:

            http://www.acvim.org/Kittleson/search.htm

            Please keep us informed.

          • elanonuevo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4 4:56 PM
              In a message dated 4/4/2002 12:02:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              szegatti@... writes:

              > My friend did some
              > research and found that fluid might mean advanced
              > heart problems and is considering PTS

              Stacy, we just discovered this with our Ozzie on March 17th. All vets that
              we took him to suggested he be PTS. We finally found one that worked with us
              and he's doing GREAT eighteen days later. He will be on meds for the rest of
              his life and his life will probably be shorter but we are grateful for every
              extra day we have. :)

              Helen's website helped me tremendously. <A HREF="http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#Hypertrophic%20cardiomyopathy">Tanya's UK Feline Chronic Renal
              Failure/related-diseases</A> This link discusses cardiomyopathy, which is what
              Ozzie has.

              Tia

            • Mike & Linda Irrgang
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5 5:04 AM
                where are you located geogrpahically be c many of us here know cardio vets
                or vet schools thru out the usa as so many of us have had problems.....pts
                now is too drastic a measure....there is so much help you can still
                access/....

                linda

                szegatti@... writes:

                > My friend did some
                > research and found that fluid might mean advanced
                > heart problems and is considering PTS

                Stacy, we just discovered this with our Ozzie on March 17th. All vets that
                we took him to suggested he be PTS. We finally found one that worked with
                us
                and he's doing GREAT eighteen days later. He will be on meds for the rest
                of
                his life and his life will probably be shorter but we are grateful for every
                extra day we have. :)

                Helen's website helped me tremendously. <A
                HREF="http://www.felinecrf.org/related_diseases.htm#Hypertrophic%20cardiomyo
                pathy">Tanya's UK Feline Chronic Renal
                Failure/related-diseases</A> This link discusses cardiomyopathy, which is
                what
                Ozzie has.

                Tia

              • szegatti
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5 8:20 AM
                  Linda:

                  We are located in Wisconsin. The closest cardio vet I found is in
                  Madison about 60-75 minutes away. I called the emergency referral
                  service here in Milwaukee and they said they didn't know of any
                  cardiologists specifically in this area which astounds me. Milwaukee
                  is a medium sized metropolitan area (about 600,000 people) so I can't
                  imagine why there aren't any vets specializing in cardiology. If
                  anyone know of any, please let me know. I'd like to find one for my
                  own kitty, Spanky (who has a very rough time just traveling 20 minutes
                  in the car).

                  So far, what we found about my coworker's 2 yr old Ragdoll is that he
                  has chylothorax. The preliminary test results of the fluid came back
                  as the fluid being a form of chyle They have to do one more test
                  against the fluid to prove it out. I sent her all the posts in the
                  archives I found when I did a search. If anyone has anything to add
                  about chylothorax that would be great.
                  Thanks for all your help.
                  Stacy, Spanky and Keesa

                  --- In feline-heart@y..., "Mike & Linda Irrgang" <irrgang@a...> wrote:
                  > where are you located geogrpahically be c many of us here know
                  cardio vets
                  > or vet schools thru out the usa as so many of us have had
                  problems.....pts
                  > now is too drastic a measure....there is so much help you can still
                  > access/....
                  >
                  > linda

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5 2:01 PM
                    THEN TRY A REALLY GOOD INTERNAL MEDS VET.....THAT'S WHAT PUM SEES....AND I
                    THINK HE DOES A BETTER JOB THAN THE CARDIOVET....

                    GOOD LUCK WE ARE PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOURS,

                  • sallymerlin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 5 10:21 PM
                      In doing research for my kitty I had a conversation today with my vet
                      just after she had a cardio consult with a cardiovet at Cornell. I had
                      asked about the drug "Rutin" as it had been suggested it might help my
                      kitty's ascites (fluid in the abdomen)...the Cardiovet from Cornell
                      said no, that Rutin IS good for chylothorax.

                      Perhaps you can ask your vits about it.

                      Good luck to you and your friend!

                      Sally and Muffin