Re: cat foods-salt

  • marcijoy2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
      I was the one who asked. The reason I need to know is that I need to
      find the foods that have not only the lowest salt, but also the
      lowest level of carbohydrates, since I also have a diabetic cat. (I
      also have charts of cat food that list protein/fat/carb/phosphorous
      content). Currently, what I do is say I will only buy food with less
      than x% carbs, x% phosphorous. Now I have to add salt to the
      equation. (I'm a bit more lenient with the phosphorous than most, as
      diabetic cats thrive on a high protein diet--high protein = low carb-
      , and high protein is usually accompanied by higher levels of
      phosphorous, and neither of my cats has kidney problems.)

      I am wondering if high protein is actually better for cats with heart
      problems, too, as:

      1. cats are obligate carnivores and require a much higher amount of
      protein in their diet than humans or dogs

      2. the heart is a muscle and protein is needed for muscle growth and
      repair

      Marcia and Morris

      --- In feline-heart@y..., "zellenesa" <zellene.sandler@p...> wrote:
      > Someone asked a while back about the link I posted to a site
      showing
      > the percent of salt, etc., in various cat foods. I don't remember
      who
      > posted, but they wanted to know how much sodium is too much. What I
      > do is pick the canned food that has first, the lowest sodium, and
      > second, the lowest phosphorus, that Widgie will eat. Right now I am
      > using Sensible Choice canned and Petguard Premium Feast.

    • mukki2
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
        I just wanted to follow-up on the list z provided. I was feeding my
        new kitten (well, 8 months old) Wellness, which is a holistic food.
        She seemed to drink quite a bit of water, but I didn't think too much
        about it (she's had a check-up and the water drinking wasn't
        excessive). I switched her to Pet Guard after seeing the sodium
        comparison and she immediately decreased her water intake, which I
        view as a positive (yes, she still drinks water and gets fluids in
        her wet food). It's really unfortunate that cat food companies insist
        on putting in that much salt! She loves the Pet Guard, so I guess
        I'll keep her on it, although I do like everything else about
        Wellness!