cat foods-salt

  • zellenesa
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
      Someone asked a while back about the link I posted to a site showing
      the percent of salt, etc., in various cat foods. I don't remember who
      posted, but they wanted to know how much sodium is too much. What I
      do is pick the canned food that has first, the lowest sodium, and
      second, the lowest phosphorus, that Widgie will eat. Right now I am
      using Sensible Choice canned and Petguard Premium Feast.

    • marcijoy2002
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2002
        I was the one who asked. The reason I need to know is that I need to
        find the foods that have not only the lowest salt, but also the
        lowest level of carbohydrates, since I also have a diabetic cat. (I
        also have charts of cat food that list protein/fat/carb/phosphorous
        content). Currently, what I do is say I will only buy food with less
        than x% carbs, x% phosphorous. Now I have to add salt to the
        equation. (I'm a bit more lenient with the phosphorous than most, as
        diabetic cats thrive on a high protein diet--high protein = low carb-
        , and high protein is usually accompanied by higher levels of
        phosphorous, and neither of my cats has kidney problems.)

        I am wondering if high protein is actually better for cats with heart
        problems, too, as:

        1. cats are obligate carnivores and require a much higher amount of
        protein in their diet than humans or dogs

        2. the heart is a muscle and protein is needed for muscle growth and
        repair

        Marcia and Morris

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "zellenesa" <zellene.sandler@p...> wrote:
        > Someone asked a while back about the link I posted to a site
        showing
        > the percent of salt, etc., in various cat foods. I don't remember
        who
        > posted, but they wanted to know how much sodium is too much. What I
        > do is pick the canned food that has first, the lowest sodium, and
        > second, the lowest phosphorus, that Widgie will eat. Right now I am
        > using Sensible Choice canned and Petguard Premium Feast.

      • mukki2
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
          I just wanted to follow-up on the list z provided. I was feeding my
          new kitten (well, 8 months old) Wellness, which is a holistic food.
          She seemed to drink quite a bit of water, but I didn't think too much
          about it (she's had a check-up and the water drinking wasn't
          excessive). I switched her to Pet Guard after seeing the sodium
          comparison and she immediately decreased her water intake, which I
          view as a positive (yes, she still drinks water and gets fluids in
          her wet food). It's really unfortunate that cat food companies insist
          on putting in that much salt! She loves the Pet Guard, so I guess
          I'll keep her on it, although I do like everything else about
          Wellness!