Re: [feline-heart] Digest Number 75

  • PPerez5239@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2000
      Dear Patti,
      I am very new to this list, and I've only posted a few times. Your tribute to
      Lilli was so beautiful and from the " heart."
      My cat, Princess, started with some open mouth breathing yesterday. She
      hadn't done that since March. The vet wants to test her digioxin levels, but
      I don't want to stress her out with the blood test. Does anyone know if it's
      worth putting her through the trauma of the blood stick to increase the
      amount of digioxin she is receiving? She is much better today. She was
      getting agitated yesterday when it was time for her afternoon meds. It's so
      sad. I can't even cradle her because she thinks I going to jam a pill or
      syringe done her throat. Thanks for your help. Pat Perez
      (Pat P.)
    • gran_patti
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 11, 2000
        Dear Pat P. (and princess) You asked if it was worth the stress to assess
        her dig levels. What kind of stress are you talking about, the stress from
        the trip to the vet? Or the stress of the needle stick? in my opinion, and
        I am not a vet, I wonder if the open mouth breathing can be ignored? Is
        there a way you can have her checked to rule out fluid in her pleural area?
        Usually done by x-ray or ultrasound. What are her lab values describing the
        elements in her blood? The needle stick itself could be done at home if you
        could find a traveling vet or a vet tech would be less expense and have the
        blood drawn at home. The xray or ultrasound to investigate the open mouthed
        breathing (actually a vet with a stethoscope could get some kind of picture
        of wheter her lungs were filling and expelling air) But these last options
        would probably require travel to an offfice? In my experience, open mouthed
        breathing comes to indicate pretty important information about how she is
        doing. In my case also there were remissions in the open mouthed breathing.
        What I have learned about dig is that if the levels are not monitored
        carefully toxicity could become a reality. Overall considering the open
        mouthed breathing episodes, being on dig, the agitation, it might be to her
        best interests to get a little more information but I don't know what levels
        of stress and its reactions you will be getting. You know her and can
        better assess her tolerance for travel and xrays and blood sticks. Why
        don't you ask your vet given these symptoms wshe is showing would a simple
        blood test be enough to assess her condition? If so you might be able to
        find a tec or nurse or someone who could come and draw the blood at home and
        then you could rush it to the clinic for ananlysis. I guess , based on my
        experience, that the open mouth breathing might be too important to overlook
        Do you have an animal ememrbency clinic where you could call and ask them
        their opinion about the breathing and they could ask you for enough details
        to help you with a considered medical opinion. But I think you are right,
        to have gone on "alert" . Please let me know how this all works out,
        these are such familiar scenarios, and I truly want you to be able to help
        her come through these developments. My very best good luck wishes and I
        know that Lilli would be right in there saying go for it. Please keep me
        in your loop. Love and hugs Patti and Angel Lilli the newest veteran of the
        war of hearts. P.s. I forgot to mention do you know how to check her
        "color" ? Look at the color of her tongue, gums , nose. They should be
        pink if they are not pink but some grey, or white or dark purple or light
        purple shade and these shades are not what she normally has representing a
        change in her ability to oxygenate herself, your vet could help you decide
        how to use your observation. Have you learned how to count her
        respiration's? Count l for each time she draws her breath in, You can see
        the rise and fall of her diaphragm. You need to know how many times she
        does it in one minute. I used to count for l5 seconds and then multiply by
        4. Also the quality of each breath, does it appear that she is working hard
        to get her chest to rise and fall or her diaphragm to suck air into her
        lungs or expel it from them and is that different for her. That is
        information to give your vet who can help you develop your approach. I
        bought a stethoscope and learned to count the number of times I heard her
        heart beat(again I counted for 15 seconds and then multiplied by four) Keep
        a record so you'll learn what is normal for her so you can immediately
        detect any deviation and can seek vet advice. Hang in there, This will all
        become second nature to you and you will feel more secure(at least I did)
        knowing you have the ability to detect early and develop an early warning
        system with your vet. We love your Princess she sounds like ---- well,
        like a Princess. and a very much loved one. good luck to you and we are
        here if you need to talk-- I have learned how much it helps from my
        experiences on this list It was a godsend for me. I hope I can help, like
        I was helped. with love Patti and Angel Lilli
        > I am very new to this list, and I've only posted a few times. Your tribute
        > Lilli was so beautiful and from the " heart."
        > My cat, Princess, started with some open mouth breathing yesterday. She
        > hadn't done that since March. The vet wants to test her digioxin levels,
        but
        > I don't want to stress her out with the blood test. Does anyone know if
        it's
        > worth putting her through the trauma of the blood stick to increase the
        > amount of digioxin she is receiving? She is much better today. She was
        > getting agitated yesterday when it was time for her afternoon meds. It's
        so
        > sad. I can't even cradle her because she thinks I going to jam a pill or
        > syringe done her throat. Thanks for your help. Pat Perez
        > (Pat P.)

        Download Now http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html
        Request a CDROM 1-800-333-3633
      • Beverly A Ford
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 15, 2000
          Dear Pat.
          Digoxin help the heart to beat more efficiently therefore a blood test will
          tell her levels and if the are not in a therapeutic level then medication
          adjustment is necessary. I know Midas doesn't really like blood tests, but
          really who of us humans do either. Only you know how much you are willing to
          put Princess through. No one should judge you if you chose not too, but I am
          a nurse and I wanted to let you know from a medically oriented person why
          the vet suggest this. I hope this little note has been a help.
          Bev

          > I am very new to this list, and I've only posted a few times. Your tribute
          > Lilli was so beautiful and from the " heart."
          > My cat, Princess, started with some open mouth breathing yesterday. She
          > hadn't done that since March. The vet wants to test her digioxin levels,
          but
          > I don't want to stress her out with the blood test. Does anyone know if
          it's
          > worth putting her through the trauma of the blood stick to increase the
          > amount of digioxin she is receiving? She is much better today. She was
          > getting agitated yesterday when it was time for her afternoon meds. It's
          so
          > sad. I can't even cradle her because she thinks I going to jam a pill or
          > syringe done her throat. Thanks for your help. Pat Perez
          > (Pat P.)

        • Miguel &Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 15, 2000
            I know that I'm showing my ignorance but what is dig?

          • Laura Penny
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 15, 2000
              I think "dig" means digoxin.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 15, 2000
                Dig is a medical short cut of digitalis a drug to strengthen the hearts
                beat.