Re: [FH] Lasix vs spironolactone

  • Anyes Moscrip
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14 5:51 PM
      zellenesa wrote:

      > Widgie is currently on a low dose of Lasix (1/2 pill every other
      > day.) I have been reading that Spironolactone may have benefits that
      > Lasix doesn't...it's also a milder drug. Are any of you using this
      > med? I'd like some input on this before I discuss it with my vet.

      We used it and had some good results with it. Lasix is harder on the kidneys
      and our kitty had advanced CRF. Do not supplement potassium while on this as
      it elevates the potassium levels. We also had really good results with
      dandelion extract, in fact we used that exclusively for 6 months, and
      spironolactone the 7th month of treatment, to manage kidney and congestive
      heart failure. The dandelion worked really well. We also tried lasix for a
      week (the first month), but it was not as effective for us for long term
      management. I consider it to be a crisis intervention drug.

      I hope this helps,
      Anyes and the girls
    • Jan
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25, 2002
        My baby used it b/f she died. She did not live long enough for me to be
        able to tell you much about it. However, the cardiologist had me give her
        both lasix and spironolactone. I'm not exactly sure why, and was much to
        emotional and stressed at the time to ask. I was just desperate to keep her
        alive and safe. Spironolactone is "potassium sparing" though. Sending
        prayers to Widgie,
        Jan

        http://joekopecky.homestead.com
        http://home.talkcity.com/earthteam2000/tonismith/index.html
        > Widgie is currently on a low dose of Lasix (1/2 pill every other
        > day.) I have been reading that Spironolactone may have benefits that
        > Lasix doesn't...it's also a milder drug. Are any of you using this
        > med? I'd like some input on this before I discuss it with my vet.

      • sallymerlin
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25, 2002
          Greetings All,

          I think the only way to know is to talk with your vet and perhaps,
          if recommended, try one then the other. We started Muffin on
          Lasix...1/2 tab daily. It seemed to help somewhat...his fluids build
          up in his abdomen. But after reading about it here and elsewhere my
          vet (with advice from the cardiologist) decided we should try him on
          the spironolactone since he has been living with kidney disease nearly
          all of his life and as you say, it is supposed to be easier on the
          kidneys.

          We saw two immediate changes:

          -Muffin did not like his food now that I was not adding Tumil-k
          ...he's had it for so long now that apparently food does not taste
          "right" to him without it.

          - he got really bad gas and diarhea...which made us both quite grumpy.

          Since he already had plenty of swelling in his poor belly, this was
          not a good change. We waited for 10 days and re-did the bloodwork to
          see if the numbers might reveal some positive benefits, but they had
          not improved for him so we went back to Lasix.

          This is not to say the all cats will have the same
          experience...Noooooooo! Some cats do much better on the
          spironolactone....which is why perhaps the only way to tell how your
          kitty will respond is to try it....but only with the vet's approval of
          course!

          Good luck!

          Sally and Muffin

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/