Gloria Vet up-date,thank you for the Carafate

  • shelley seidman
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
      Hello all..As many of you know i have been very
      worried about the water bowl hovering and this morning
      Gloria tried to get into the shower with me,jumped in
      the sink,then licked the tub dry. I rushed her to the
      vet and the #'s are surprisingly good. Creat down a
      smidge, 2.66 from 2.7, TP down 7.29 from 8.0, Blood
      Glucose normal at 109 and the HCT WAY UP - 31% from
      20%!! Thank you to all of you who suggested I demand
      Carafate. I did and the results are mind boggling.
      Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

      I brought Gloria home and went out for a bit, came
      home to diarrhea and vomiting.This happens frequently
      from the stress of going to the vet. I can't figure
      out why she is drinking like there is no tomorrow. She
      is getting 150 ml's in the a.m and is dehydrated by
      late evening. She drinks and drinks and drinks her ice
      water. I think the SEB might have caused a recurrence
      of the calcium oxolate stones. I read that Calc.Ox is
      an ingredient of Slippery Elm - has anyone had this
      problem??I will bring in a urine sample as soon as I
      can get one.

      Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

      Shelley and Gloria

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Lynnie Henderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
        Just for the sake of making sure, ask the vet if the numbers could point to
        Addison's disease. (If s/he says that cats don't get Addison's disease, ask
        the vet to pretend that they do.) In Punky's case, the source of all of his
        many problems in the last few months of his life turned out to be Addison's.
        Dehydration was a particular problem and, although it often goes along with
        kidney disease, too, in his case fluids were not enough to solve it. Once we
        started giving him pred, though, the dehydration was no longer unmanageable.
        It was too late for him because his body had failed too much, but I would
        definitely want to rule out AD. I think if we'd treated the adrenal failure
        earlier, he would not have deteriorated so much.
        Worth asking, at least!
      • shelley seidman
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
          Hi..I'm sorry that you ost Punky. This is so
          difficult. Gloria has been on pred and it seems to
          make the thirst worse - would that be Addison's??
          Thank you for the idea and will begin researching
          ASAP.

          Shelley & Gloria
          --- Lynnie Henderson <lynnie_henderson@...>

          http://mail.yahoo.com/