Suggestions? HCM and CHF

  • createpeace2
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2014
      My cat has had cardiomyopathy for a few years. He was doing fine and didn't need meds and had several echocardiograms. Excellent doctor here. About 6 months ago his condition worsened slightly and he started atenolol. Last week he went into heart failure and had fluid in his lungs and surrounding his lungs. He's on a new medication and will need to start a third one soon. Feeling so sad. Wondering if there's anything else I can do. He's on an excellent diet but I cannot afford raw food everyday right now. I just read about "feline cardio support" I believe is what its called. I read some comments on Dr Mercola's pet site foliwing an article about heart disease and pets. I can forward the article. I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried Standard Process Formulas for cats. Also wondering if it's too late if he has already progressed to congestive heart failure. Just feeling very sad about all of this. My cat has been through a lot and has made it through, but this is more serious and he's older now. suggestions? This is feeling really difficult. I almost feel like I didn't catch the CHF in time. I'm blaming myself that I didn't bring him in sooner when his breathing was more difficult.
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2014
        When my angel Sweetie went into CHF, I started her on CoQ10 (Ubiquinol), 50mg twice a day. I know that sounds like a lot, but after doing a lot of research, I found that the dosage to be appropriate for her.  I also started her on DMG (dimethylglycine).  She had to take the normal diuretics (Lasix), and I also gave her dandelion extract, so that I could reduce the amount of Lasix she needed to take.  That worked for a while till she got worse over the course of 10 months and then I dropped the dandelion and just did Lasix.  Sweetie also had kidney failure, so balancing her kidney issues with her heart issues was difficult, but we were able to keep her comfortable for the last 10  months of her life.  Sweetie was 18 when she first got CHF and had had CRF for 3 years. She also had IBD, hyperthyroid and high blood pressure, so she was on meds for that too.

        I do think that supplementing with Ubiquinol (coQ10) or some kind of heart supplement that contains it is helpful and one of the most important things you can give.  Make sure it's ubiquinol and not ubiquinone.  Ubiquinone needs to be broken down into the useable form of ubiquinol, and cats don't metabolize ubiquinone well enough to get it to the ubiquinol useable form.  I also gave Sweetie Standard Process Feline Cardiac Support, but to be honest, I don't know that it did anything.

        I think the two most important supplements for CHF/HCM are the ubiquinol and DMG.  Depening on the kind of fluid it is, some folks also give Rutin for Chylothorax.
        https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=rutin+for+chylothorax+in+cats

        Hope some of this helps.

        Carol and Angel Misty

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2014
            It's absolutely not too late. My Boo was in heart failure in oxygen for several days.  She will be celebrating her 3rd anniversary since that happened this Oct.  With the right meds kitties can be okay. Every cat differs of course but I didn't want you to lose hope.

            You mention he has had several echos but have you seen a cardiologist?  This is imperative to diagnose the type of heart disease and get the right meds for your cat's best chance.  I am sure your vet is excellent  BUT he is not knowledgeable enough to help at this point.  An echo by a cardiologist is needed right away.  Just some more info on meds -- Boo is on the following cocktail:  Lasix (a must diuretic), Benazepril, Plavix (prevent blood clots) and Vetmedin.  I strongly recommend speaking to the cardiologist about Vetmedin.  This was the last med we added, most important to get the fluid under control with the Lasix first, but I saw a difference in Boo once she was on Vetmedin, the life was back in her.  She also now takes Pepcid as she has Pancreatitis... sigh.

            Hoping for the best for ?? (kitty's name?)
            Laurie and Boo