Cat eating problems

  • willow22596
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2014
      My cat stops eating certain foods lately. He will love a food then a week later refuse it. Today I opened four cans and he would eat nothing. I had to go to the store to get other food and he finally ate that. I'm not sure if he is feeling well. I'm not sure if I should bring him in or wait. Any thoughts? He is eating his pills in pill pockets and drinking water. Actually today I feel he drank too much. Thanks
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2014
        Does your cat have kidney issues?  That would make him nauseated and not want to eat. Any time they stop wanting to eat, is a flag to do some testing, at least some bloodwork, to check to see if there is something going on like kidney insufficiency, liver problems also will make them not want to eat... if there's infection and high white cell count, that'll make them feel bad too, and if they're red count is low and they're anemic, again will make them nauseated and not want to eat.

        I'd probably take him to the vet if he doesn't start eating normally in a day or two, do some bloodwork just to make sure things internally are okay.

        Carol and angel Misty

        My cat stops eating certain foods lately. He will love a food then a week later refuse it. Today I opened four cans and he would eat nothing. I had to go to the store to get other food and he finally ate that. I'm not sure if he is feeling well. I'm not sure if I should bring him in or wait. Any thoughts? He is eating his pills in pill pockets and drinking water. Actually today I feel he drank too much. Thanks
      • Leigh Arrathoon
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2014
          Dear Jamie,
               That sounds like all four of my cats! They love a food for a couple of weeks, and then I have to change it, but they go back to the one they liked after a week or so, so I have to be quick on the draw to remove the one they're about to get tired of before I have to throw it out. I'm not made of money! So, for example, three of them like Wellness duck and the trout from Canyon River, Idaho for breakfast. This is a good thing because they swap off, and this works out wonderfully well, most of the time. When they all get tired of the same thing at the same time, I'm out of luck. They also get tired of the flaked beef or pork I buy from another holistic company. Now that's a real pain, because they tire of that very quickly. What they don't tire of is the junk food, which I try to keep to a minimum. Why Whiskas turkey or beef should be so popular is beyond me. I feed 3/4 of a "tin" to the girls once a day, and 1 "tin" to all of them at night, every single day, because there are no carbohydrates listed in the label-just meat. They also love, without reserve, Wellness dry food, of which they only get a couple of partial handfuls for all of them throughout the day.
                Drinking too much? My cats drink buckets of water because I have fountains all over the house. It's good for them to drink. They don't have diabetes; the water is just bottled and recycled through the fountains so it's always fresh.
                Leigh