High BP

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30 2:26 PM
      Hello all:

      Today we were scheduled to return the the vet to have Sheba tested for Hyper T.    She has been suffering weight loss, and I have also noticed some early morning vocalizations and anxiety ridden behavior (circling dining room table).    Previous thyroid testing showed Sheba was in the normal range (though the numbers crept up) and vet wanted to include another:

      IDEXX T4
      IDEXX FREE T
      Blood Pressure
      IDEXX GI PANEL- Complete

      We are awaiting results of the labs, but to my surprise, she had High BP @ 220!!    (Sheba has been tested previously and all were normal).    Vet started her on 1/8 tab of Amiodipine (2.5mg).

      Any help in the best way to sliver these tabs would also be greatly appreciated.  (liquid meds can trigger asthma attacks)
      I will post the blood work as soon as I get it back.

      Thank you,
      Jordan and Sheba
    • Elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30 2:48 PM
        Oh no!
        I have had these pills with Arnie and Tom a few years ago and they are a nightmare to chop. I would go to the chemist and have them chopped for you if they will, might be a small fee, otherwise by a crafting blade and good luck.. Tom ended up on 1/6th and then 1/4 before he was stable. It's goood they caught it, these work great.

        Lyn

        www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)
      • Jordan
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30 7:33 PM
          Thanks Amber.  We are awaiting those results.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 30 7:43 PM
            hi Jordan,

            I use a single edge razor blade and cut then on a piece of paper.  Divide up the pieces as accurately as I can and then put the divided pills into empty gel caps.  These amlodipine tablets are such an odd shape, it's difficult to get them exactly accurate, but using a razor blade worked best for me.

            Carol and angel Misty

            Any help in the best way to sliver these tabs would also be greatly appreciated.  (liquid meds can trigger asthma attacks)
            I will post the blood work as soon as I get it back.

            Thank you,
            Jordan and Sheba
          • Jenny
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 31 1:36 AM
              Hi.
              You can use a pill splitter which you can buy at any drug store. Or you can set the pill on the counter. Put a sharp knife over it. Then tap down on the knife with a hammer or something to make a clean split.

              Sent from a BGTF Phone
            • Jordan Salim
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 31 6:31 AM
                Any side effects To watch for Lyn??!

                Thanks
                Jordan and Sheba

                Sent from my iPad
              • nandismom
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 31 3:20 PM
                  Generic amlodipine is easier to split and least expensive.

                  The sharp new razor blade seems to work best for me too and then I use either a small perfume funnel or a small folded piece of paper to fill the crumble into the gelcap. Also depending on the dose, 5mg amlodipine is almost the same price as 2.5mg amlodipine.

                  Goodrx.com can save you a lot of money if you use their site for locating the least cost for each drug in your area(s).
                  here a sample for my area on the East Coast CT:
                  30 tablets of generic amlodipine 5mg version $ 7 at Walmart $ 8.72 at Target,  $ 9.25 at CVS and so on.
                  While the 2.5 mg version is: $ 7.92 at Walmart, with the discount printed out from goodrx.com , $ 9.07 at Target and $ 9.99 at Rite Aid.

                  When splitting the pills I hold the other hand over it in such a way that chips don't fly and go missing.
                  Jenn, I always love your posts and suggestions, but a hammer is most likely to send parts flying??

                  Just my 2 cents worth,

                  Erika