newly diagnosed with hcm

  • ushoover
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2014

      Hi, I have been a lurker here for a very long time, but now it is I who needs advice.  My 11 year old female cat was just diagnosed with moderate/advanced hmc last week, I have not seen the report yet, 9 cats were scanned that day, and dr was running late, so offered to email my results, anyway, I have been doing some research and have decided to give her vetri science cardio strength, vit c, dmg, and salmon oil.  The cardio strength already has caratine, taurine and coq10,  I tried to look in the files for supplement facts, but couldn't open the files, so, can anyone share what the doses for these should be and also if there are any others I should add?  She is not showing any symptoms at all, and will see my regular vet later in the week, after I have had time to get my treatment plan organized for their file, all the cardiologist put her on was 6.25mg of atenolol twice/day,  she is eating well, and in good spirits, any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, oh, also the cardiologist I saw is leaving the area, leaving with no cardiologist Dianne
    • Dana McCormick
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2014
        Hi Dianne,

        I have 4 on heart meds/supplements. Diltiazem, DMG, Cardio Strength & 50mg CoQ10. They get the CoQ in addition to what's in the Cardio Strength because the vet wants 30mg and the CStrength only has 20. Fuzz is also on Plavix.

        Not seeing a cardiologist may not be the end of the world if you have a good vet who does ultrasounds. I've never seen a cardiologist, as there isn't one within 2 hrs and I wasn't about to kill Fuzz to get him there. They all see my vet who treated Angel Leroy. The practice has a board-certified internist, but I trust my vet far more and continue to see her. Don't get me wrong, I would go to a cardiologist for a 2nd opinion if there was one, but there isn't. I have full faith in my vet.

        Dana & The Fuzzies

[...]

      • Elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14, 2014
          Hi there,

          I used the cardiostrength for a long time as well with 1 capsule a day until it got expensive to import. It's normal to start with atenolol and some of mine have been on that for years with little progression. Don't forget to keep checking the breathing for changes in rate and type, but you probably know all that being here. Once you start the coq remember not to stop suddenly as well, so always have a supply ready if ever needing to be in the vets overnight.

          Lyn

          www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)