OT: Maybe

  • anita_hamer
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 10:02 PM

      Squeak has RCM which was greatly improved when he had his last echo on 9 July. This past winter he had coughing spells that weren't heart related and didn't seem to be asthma. Also throughout the winter and at least until May of this year he kept scratching himself raw and wouldn't heal (as it turned out it was a food allergy). Anyway, to benefit him I changed all of the cleaners that I use to more environmentally friendly and switched to perfume/dye free laundry products.

      Now my issue is oven cleaner. I live on a rather small apartment and have put off cleaning the oven since the health issues began in July 2013. I can't use the regular oven cleaners and I am hesitant about even using the "fume free" as I don't want the slightest set back. I am very concerned that any oven cleaner in an aerosol can will cause another event of Congestive Heart Failure.

      Has anyone taken the route that I have and changed household cleaners because of a cat with heart disease? Any thoughts or input will be very much appreciated.

      Anita and Squeaker

    • Elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4 3:03 AM
        Hi Anita

        I have, for the kids and cats. Anything that stresses them or causes coughing will put a strain on the heart. Get one of the liquid cleaners you leave on and then come back to and wipe the dirt off rather than a spray. I use ordinary bleach (carefully as cats do like it and will try and lick it) as needed or eco-cleaners but even then you have to watch for the essential oils. I`m also careful about air fresheners. I`m very sensitive to sprays and perfumes too.

        lyn

        www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)
      • CLPlatts
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4 6:04 AM

          I most certainly did change my life for my animals as a direct result of a feral rescue who turned out to have FLV. First I started making my own wet cat food. Then I learned about chemical free flea control & limiting vaccines. Then I got birds and gave away ALL my non stick cook ware  and replaced it with stainless steel. I stopped buying chemical laden products and switched to homemade cleaning products. I then..and this was tough…threw out all my plastic storage containers and bought glass. Yes I have to be a little more careful about dropping something but I have never regretted any of these choices because I and my companion animals are healthier. As to cleaning that oven using a glass cooking dish (pie dishes are great Use glass because the vinegar can react with a metal pan.) pour in 2 cups of water with a tablespoon or 2 (you don’t need much) of white vinegar and set the oven on low (about 200) for an hour or so. I set the timer so I don’t forget it. Turn off and let cool until you can safely work inside the oven. The steam will have softened all the greasy build up so you should be able to clean it fairly easily with one of those scotch guard type scrubby sponges. If there is any left-over residue you can repeat the process. No toxic fumes of any kind. The vinegar you add is a great grease cutter but only use a little this is one of those things where more isn’t better. You don’t have to worry about getting it on your skin or if you get drips on the floor it won’t destroy it. The vinegar will also leave your oven (and anything else you clean with it) shiny clean and odor free. Try a cup in your laundry and you’ll be hooked on it.

          Cherie P

        • Jordan
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4 1:56 PM
            Hello Anita,

            I have a heart kitty with feline asthma.    I have not changed manyof my household cleaners, but I am always aware of the effect of fumes have  on my girl.  I have, however,  taken several other steps with her medical conditions in mind:

            1)   I no longer burn scented candles.
            2)   I only use Pet safe bug spray in the summer time when we get ants.
            3)   I only treat her with "natural" flea products.
            4)   when I painted  a room in my home I bought VOC paint.

            And I booked a hotel when we knock out a wall in my kitchen soon.   I will clean the house of all dust and dirt  before I return her back to our house.

            Good luck,
            Jordan and Sheba