New member - Elsie

  • robertsonja48
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2014

      Hey everyone,

      Elsie is my 17 year old babygirl, and we've been trudging through renal failure since January 3rd of this year. She's been holding steady with CRE 3.7 and BUN 51. I took her in to see the vet a week ago since she had started hiding a bit more than normal, and he heard a pronounced gallop rhythm. After the xrays showed an enlarged heart, I made an appointment with a cardiologist.

      The resulting ultrasound showed she does have heart disease. Her left ventricle is thickened (he said something like 0.8 thickness, on the "high end" of normal.. the paper copy of the results will be mailed to my house..). Her left ventricle still looks good, and is not enlarged. She also has a mild murmur, but he does not seem concerned about it.. as it is very mild at the vet, and is probably even more mild at home under less stressful conditions.  Her blood pressure is also normal, and  there is no underlying cause of the disease such as hypertension or hyperthyroidism.

      Elsie is currently only on subcutaneous fluids on an "as needed" basis.. I try to put as much water as I can into her wet food, and so she only needs fluids every 3 or 4 days (50mL tops).. though now I might even try to bring that down and get her off the fluids as much as possible.

      Now, for the part I find troubling .. the cardiologist did not suggest starting any medications, and was against supplements as "there is no hard data to suggest they work." I feel so absolutely useless knowing that she has a heart issue, and yet I'm being told to sit on my hands and do nothing. Do you think he's right? Or is there something I should be asking about.. or at the very minimum, any supplements that wouldn't hurt to try?

      Thanks for your insight,

      Jennifer and Elsie

    • Elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2014
        Hi there

        High end of normal means it's still within normal range so I understand why the cardiologist was reluctant to start medication. Most of my cats were clearly abnormal and had meds but those like Bobby with lesser disease are on none. I guess they are worried about the effects on the kidneys. I`m not sure what to advise you, there are heart supplements but they do good with cats with heart disease. Can you ask your own vet what they think?
        Lyn

        www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)
      • Jordan
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2014
          Jennifer,

          I feel your pain.   I find myself in a similar position.    My Sheba has UCM - unclassified cardiomyopathy and she is only on Plavix to reduce the risk of saddle thrombosis (blood clot).

          Though we see our cardiologist every 6 months, he does not feel any other heart meds are needed.    Unless she goes into CHF (congestive heart failure), most cardiologists will not prescribe more meds.  They only treat the clincial signs that present.    So the close monitoring (twice yearly) is crucial.

          However, there are supplements that Ly mentioned.  CoQ10 and nattokinase which is used to reduce clots also.   Sheba was on natto until vet prescribed the Plavix instead.

          Gentle hugs to Elise,
          Jordan and Sheba