Price of clopidogrel (Plavix)

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30 12:34 PM
      The cardiologist in Michigan prescribed clopidogrel for Whispurr. This
      has been her most expensive medication. As a member of AAA, I
      downloaded and filled out a prescription discount card for AAA members
      (http://www.aaa.com/aaa/AAAPrescriptions/Prescriptions_new.htm) and,
      after having staff at several pharmacies insist that discount cards
      cannot be used for pet prescriptions despite the card clearly stating
      instructions for coding pet prescriptions, I found a Walgreens
      pharmacy with staff who knew how to read and how to do their job.
      Getting the clopidogrel prescription filled there, with the AAA
      discount card, saved me almost 50% over the regular undiscounted
      price.

      Now I am back home in Syracuse (it won't be home for long, as I need
      to move by August 31 and don't have anywhere to go, but for now, we're
      here), and in Syracuse I get my own prescriptions filled at a Price
      Chopper supermarket pharmacy. Price Chopper has its own prescription
      discount program for pets, and in the past I have often found that
      filling pet prescriptions at Price Chopper *without* using the AAA
      discount ends up costing less than filling them elsewhere *with* the
      AAA discount. So, I called Price Chopper and asked what it would cost
      to fill Whispurr's clopidogrel prescription there under their pet
      program.

      The answer: For ten 75 mg tablets, it cost $15.75! I picked them up yesterday.

      Just posting this in case it might be helpful to others. First, AAA
      members can use that discount card. Second, ask around at individual
      pharmacies. Some of them have their own discount programs for pet
      meds.

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
    • vt_hoki
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30 4:28 PM
        Plavix is one of Walmart's 30 For $30 prescriptions. That's where we get ours. It was double that at Michigan State.kelly
      • Debbie Loffredo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 30 4:58 PM
          A very good point check and ask around at different pharmacies. My local
          pharmacy let my cat join their $4 generic program! With his 4 prescriptions
          it was $20-25 (cant remember exactly as one was under the $4 plan). I paid
          that for like 14 days of lasix from the local vet! Thankfully cardiologist
          just wrote scripts!

          ---
        • Jim Sinclair
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 30 5:24 PM
            On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM, 'Debbie Loffredo'
            debnlevon@... [feline-heart]
            <feline-heart-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            > A very good point check and ask around at different pharmacies. My local
            > pharmacy let my cat join their $4 generic program! With his 4 prescriptions
            > it was $20-25 (cant remember exactly as one was under the $4 plan). I paid
            > that for like 14 days of lasix from the local vet! Thankfully cardiologist
            > just wrote scripts!

            Can human pharmacies get the 12.5 mg Lasix pills?? I was told that
            strength is only available to veterinarians. I'm definitely going to
            check that out!

            Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
          • Debbie Loffredo
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 30 6:08 PM
              I don't know about that, the cardio was going to have me do 1-1/2 of the
              12.5 but I only had a couple left so than she wrote for 20 mg. If that's
              the case is it possible for you to split the 20's? If you must have the
              12.5 have you looked at the vet supply pharmacies, (for example Valley Vet
              Supply, KV Vet Supply, Thriving Pets there are a ton of others, those just a
              few on top of my head from pricing meds for my horse). You may find better
              deal than you are currently getting there, they certainly beat my vet.

              > Can human pharmacies get the 12.5 mg Lasix pills?? I was told that
              > strength is only available to veterinarians. I'm definitely going to
              > check that out!
              >
              > Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

              ---
            • Dana McCormick
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 30 7:08 PM
                Hi Jim,

                On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:08 PM, "'Debbie Loffredo' debnlevon@... [feline-heart]" <feline-heart-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                I don't know about that, the cardio was going to have me do 1-1/2 of the
                12.5 but I only had a couple left so than she wrote for 20 mg. If that's
                the case is it possible for you to split the 20's? If you must have the
                12.5 have you looked at the vet supply pharmacies, (for example Valley Vet
                Supply, KV Vet Supply, Thriving Pets there are a ton of others, those just a
                few on top of my head from pricing meds for my horse). You may find better
                deal than you are currently getting there, they certainly beat my vet.

                > Can human pharmacies get the 12.5 mg Lasix pills?? I was told that
                > strength is only available to veterinarians. I'm definitely going to
                > check that out!
                >
                > Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

                ---

                I switched from my drugstore at $69 to Costco for $13.06 for 30 pills of the Clopidogrel. You don't have to be a member and I have it mailed, as I'm near Buffalo and we don't have Costco. Another group suggested them for meds and I'm so happy!

                Dana & Fuzz
              • Jordan Salim
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 31 10:37 AM
                  Jim,

                  I HIGHLY recommend www.goodrx.com to check for pricing on prescription for both people and pets.

                  I originally got Sheba's Plavix at Costco for about $8 for a month supply. However, these pills were huge even when chopped up. So I shopped around and found a much smaller version. (Different manufacturer) at Sam's Club.

                  My cardiologist wrote me a prescription for a whole year (90 tabs) so I could get refills. But when I went to Sam's to fill I learned that filling the entire prescription was $33 vs 30 tabs which was $30.

                  It REALLY pays to competitive shop.

                  Good luck
                  Jordan and Sheba

                  Sent from my iPad
                • gypsyrose190
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 31 4:05 PM
                    Target has a discount card too. And I paid around $16.00 for Greys generic Plavix..