Bodie's coughing scares me! And random thoughts

  • lindsaaayerin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2014
      I just felt like chatting with people who can empathize and sympathize! Bodie's coughing is infrequent these days. It happens maybe once a week or once every two weeks. But it scares me so much when it happens. Cat's with HCM don't usually cough? It scares me even more that he does it, if it's not common. I get so paranoid that it's a sign of him getting worse or that his heart can't handle it. He was just laying on my lap, purring up a storm. Then he randomly sat up (still in my lap) and had a 30 second coughing fit. Then he layed back down, looked annoyed, but went back to purring. His breathing is not labored at all. But I'm sitting here, still scared about it! And now he's running around the house like a crazy cat, chasing a fly. I want him to sleep and rest! lol. Since it's supposedly not common for heart cats to cough, I've wondered if he has asthma. But I looked up cat asthma attacks on youtube and his coughing is nothing like that, plus wouldn't the vet have seen asthma in the x-ray or ultrasound? Every time I asked the vet about Bodie's coughing, he didn't really have any comments about it, just said it was weird. I want reassurance! I want to know what's going on! I want to hear that the coughing won't make him worse! Okay, I'll stop complaining about that now, lol.

      I'm struggling to get him to take his Diltiazem. He picks it out of pill pockets, wet food and other soft treats. I can't stick pills down his throat because he stresses easily and stress causes him to cough. Tonight I got some gel capsules and crushed the diltiazem into one, hoping that since he wouldn't be able to taste it, he would take it that way from a pill pocket. But no, he wouldn't. Then I magically tried to put the pill in the pill pocket by itself, and he took it! No problems! Research tells me Diltiazem will help him a lot (it helps with blood pressure and chest pain) so I really want him to take it, but he misses a lot of the doses since he refuses it. I called the vet and asked if there's a similar medication we can give him instead, maybe he'd be more tolerant of another one, but they said no. They suggested I give it to him in a liquid form instead but I still get nightmares about giving me previous heart cat a liquid medication. Caring for a heart cat is not easy!

      If you've read this far, I thank you sincerely. I would appreciate any comments. Or, if you have nothing to add, tell me how your kitty is doing today! It helps me to connect with people who are caring for similar cats - helps me see I'm not alone! It's now been a month since Bodie was diagnosed with HCM. They told me that he maybe has months left since his HCM is so severe. My over-active brain is thinking, "Oh no, only months and we just got through a month? Is his time coming?" But I know I can't think that way or it will drive me crazy. He is visibly slowing down and not quite acting like himself which shows me his problem is progressing, which is awful. But at least he's still a happy cat. He enjoys looking out the windows, chasing my other cat, getting attention and eating. He absolutely loves to eat, lol. I guess I just have to take it day by day and appreciate the good moments when we have them. I am full of guilt because sometimes Bodie wants to cuddle when I'm caring for my 10 month old baby. I can't give him the time when I'm alone with her and I hate that - he deserves all of the attention he wants. Then of course when the baby is sleeping, I go and try to make up for it and give him attention then, but he never wants attention when I'm actually able to give it! Typical cat!
      -Lindsay
    • Mikel Delgado
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 24, 2014
        Lindsay,
        I'm so sorry to hear you are having such a rough time! I had an asthma kitty in the past and now I have a heart kitty. She doesn't cough, but my asthma kitty did and it always terrified me!
        It sounds like overall your cat is doing really well and feels pretty happy - I always take playing and eating and doing their favorite things as a good sign.
        Take care,
        mikel

        On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM, lindsaaayerin@... [feline-heart] <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

      • Dana McCormick
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2014
          Hi Lindsay,

          None of my heart kitties coughed. I do have heart/asthma kids and the way I describe the asthma cough is like a giraffe stretching out his neck, which you've likely seen on the videos. Asthma can't always be detected on X-Ray. Sometimes the donuts don't show, then it's more about treat it like asthma and if kitty responds, yep, it's asthma.

          My Fuzz was diagnosed severe HCM 2 yrs ago and given 6 months. His 2 yr was 25 months ago. He is on the same cocktail I had my Leroy on, which for whatever reason, returned all his measurements to normal. He is on 1/4 Diltiazem twice/day, Cardio Strength, 30 mg CoQ10 (there is also CoQ in the Cardio Strength) and Plavix. Leroy wasn't on Plavix, but the rest are the same. Fuzz's repeat echos show better measurements, some even back in the normal range. He is 7 and was always the least active of his litter of 4. I always thought just his personality, but once he got on the Diltiazem, etc, he became an active cat so I suspect he's had it since he was born.

          Fuzz doesn't even need a gelcap, I'm lucky. Try really hard to get Brodie to take his meds and try the supplements.

          Good luck,

          Dana & Fuzz