Gave Whispurr's pills to the wrong cat

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2014
      Will the meds prescribed for a heart kitty, in the doses prescribed
      (not overdosing by eating a whole bottle of pills, just taking the
      dose prescribed for the cat who needs it), hurt a healthy cat who got
      them by mistake?

      I just went to give Whispurr her nighttime gelcap filled with one
      whole furosemide tablet and a quarter each of benazepril, clopidogrel,
      and spironolactone. (Her pimobendan is given separately as a liquid.)
      I give treats right after pilling, to make sure the pills go down. And
      I give the other cats treats too, so they won't try to steal
      Whispurr's. So, when I sat down with Whispurr's pillbox, everyone
      gathered around. And I am very very tired and wobbly and feeling ill
      tonight, so I was kind of fog-headed. I opened the pillbox, took out
      the gelcap with the four pill meds in it, and stuck it down the throat
      of the cat who was waiting expectantly in my lap. Only that cat was
      not Whispurr! It was my 3-year-old, healthy cat. She weighs a couple
      of pounds more than Whispurr does.

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
    • ESID
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23, 2014
        Jim, I don't think this is going to harm your 3yr/o, just make sure there is
        enough water around for the two diuretics and make sure Whispurr does get
        her medicine afterall. If you have sub-q fluids around you might consider to
        give maybe 100cc to the "wrong" kitty to wash those meds out bit quicker.
        I think that is what I would do. Maybe you want to call the vet or an
        E-room regarding the blood anticoagulant Clopidogrel if more fluids would
        have a negative impact. The two diuretics should cause more thirst and
        drinking anyway and do no harm.

        Hope all goes well! And you can get some peaceful sleep.

        Erika

        on 7/23/14 22:40 , Jim Sinclair jisincla@... [feline-heart] at
        feline-heart-noreply@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Will the meds prescribed for a heart kitty, in the doses prescribed
        > (not overdosing by eating a whole bottle of pills, just taking the
        > dose prescribed for the cat who needs it), hurt a healthy cat who got
        > them by mistake?
        >
        > I just went to give Whispurr her nighttime gelcap filled with one
        > whole furosemide tablet and a quarter each of benazepril, clopidogrel,
        > and spironolactone. (Her pimobendan is given separately as a liquid.)
        > I give treats right after pilling, to make sure the pills go down. And
        > I give the other cats treats too, so they won't try to steal
        > Whispurr's. So, when I sat down with Whispurr's pillbox, everyone
        > gathered around. And I am very very tired and wobbly and feeling ill
        > tonight, so I was kind of fog-headed. I opened the pillbox, took out
        > the gelcap with the four pill meds in it, and stuck it down the throat
        > of the cat who was waiting expectantly in my lap. Only that cat was
        > not Whispurr! It was my 3-year-old, healthy cat. She weighs a couple
        > of pounds more than Whispurr does.
        >
        > Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
        >

        > ------------------------------------
        > Posted by: Jim Sinclair <jisincla@...>
        > ------------------------------------

      • Jim Sinclair
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 23, 2014
          I checked on her a little while ago. She was playing with the Feline
          Frenzy toy. Seems fine. Maybe I can finally stop worrying about her,
          and go to sleep....

          Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
        • Elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 2014
            That should be fine. Mine once ate everyone else's fortekor and various diuretics. They might be sleepy for a little while:) Ring the vet to check but should be fine:)

            Lyn

            www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)
          • westgold12
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 2014
              You must have been really scared, but I'm glad it worked out okay.
              I'm not sure what a couple of those meds are --- but one water pill
              wouldn't hurt a healthy animal. I give atenolol to Tigger mixed in
              his food, and once in a while my healthy 14-year-old Susie grabs a
              lick. I asked my vet about it, and he said atenolol will not harm a
              healthy cat, and the effects wear off within 12 hours anyway.

              Quoting "Jim Sinclair jisincla@... [feline-heart]"
              <feline-heart-noreply@yahoogroups.com>:

              > Will the meds prescribed for a heart kitty, in the doses prescribed
              > (not overdosing by eating a whole bottle of pills, just taking the
              > dose prescribed for the cat who needs it), hurt a healthy cat who got
              > them by mistake?
              >
              > I just went to give Whispurr her nighttime gelcap filled with one
              > whole furosemide tablet and a quarter each of benazepril, clopidogrel,
              > and spironolactone. (Her pimobendan is given separately as a liquid.)
              > I give treats right after pilling, to make sure the pills go down. And
              > I give the other cats treats too, so they won't try to steal
              > Whispurr's. So, when I sat down with Whispurr's pillbox, everyone
              > gathered around. And I am very very tired and wobbly and feeling ill
              > tonight, so I was kind of fog-headed. I opened the pillbox, took out
              > the gelcap with the four pill meds in it, and stuck it down the throat
              > of the cat who was waiting expectantly in my lap. Only that cat was
              > not Whispurr! It was my 3-year-old, healthy cat. She weighs a couple
              > of pounds more than Whispurr does.
              >
              > Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

            • westgold12
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 24, 2014