another one

  • willow22596
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 22, 2014

      what is your method of giving pills?  he has caught on to the pill pockets and cheese.

      stressing him out with a syringe doesn't sound appealing

    • Mikel Delgado
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 22, 2014
        I love gel caps because I can put several pills in them at once, no bitter taste and they go down much easier!

        On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 7:20 AM, jamiescan24@... [feline-heart] <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        what is your method of giving pills?  he has caught on to the pill pockets and cheese.

        stressing him out with a syringe doesn't sound appealing

      • vt_hoki
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 22, 2014
          One word: Bribery. Mr Jinx has been on twice a day meds since March 2005. We give him a bit of white-meat turkey after his pills. After a while, all we had to do was shake a pill bottle. He comes running and sits at the fridge awaiting his pills and turkey. I dont know any other animal that does that, but it works great for us.kelly
        • J. R.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 22, 2014
            Hi. We recently learned that our compounding pharmacy can make up molded treats. Apparently they use Whisker Lickins', original soft chicken ones, add a stabilizer and the meds and remold them into treats.

            The pharmacy is a nationally accredited compounding pharmacy that makes all the meds for our vets, and now  makes up all our flavored liquid meds we give as syringes for the 3 medically challenged cats we care for (HCM, epilepsy and neurologic horners/vestibular syndrome).

            We've also roasted plain chicken legs and tuckes pieces of pills into the fresh cooked meat, crushed pills and added it to food (almost never successful cause it tastes bad), crushed pills and added a bit of sweetener (corn syrup and honey are safe...not all are) with some gerber 2nds beef or ham (strong flavor) to cut the bitterness and cover the taste...

            There is no perfect solution....most of the time you have to just try different ways. Others might have ideas to share.

            Hope this offers you at least another alternative to consider.
            -JR & Crew

            On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:47 AM, "vt_hoki@... [feline-heart]" <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            One word: Bribery. Mr Jinx has been on twice a day meds since March 2005. We give him a bit of white-meat turkey after his pills. After a while, all we had to do was shake a pill bottle. He comes running and sits at the fridge awaiting his pills and turkey. I dont know any other animal that does that, but it works great for us.kelly

          • Jill Santoriello
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 23, 2014
              J.R., would you mind sharing the name, website, any contact info on the compounding pharmacy you mentioned.  I'm using one in NYC for plavix and the price is outrageous ($99 for 30!) so I'm hoping to find an alternative somewhere on the planet.  THANKS!

              Jill

            • J. R.
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 23, 2014
                Hi. We asked but compounding pharmacy here in CA does not ship outside CA.
                Call Dr. Marcia Landefeld in Port Washington, NY - feline only clinic - write to them on their website.
                If Amy or one of the other techs can help they usually do.
                They use the pharmacy next door...but they may be able to recommend someplace closer to you.
                Hope that helps
                -JR

                On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:23 AM, "Jill Santoriello jill.santoriello@... [feline-heart]" <feline-heart-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                J.R., would you mind sharing the name, website, any contact info on the compounding pharmacy you mentioned.  I'm using one in NYC for plavix and the price is outrageous ($99 for 30!) so I'm hoping to find an alternative somewhere on the planet.  THANKS!

                Jill

              • Cindy Deukmejian
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2014
                  Hi Jill~

                  I used a couple of compounding pharmacies for my angel Abbey.  Both ship to the meds to you.  Diamondback was where I had plavix compounded into a liquid form,  but there was still a bitter taste to her and she hated it.  They also compound into other things like treats and topicals (Diamondback only compounds for animals.)  However, I figured a way to pill her that wound up being much easier for both of us so I stopped doing the liquid.  The other pharmacy I used was Wedgewood and that was to compound Pimobendan into tiny tabs (otherwise they are huge pills).  I never had a problem with either pharmacy.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 27, 2014
                    Thank you so much Cindy!