Kitty was just diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy-Scared help!

  • chelseasound
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2014

      Hi everyone!

      First and foremost let me just say I'm so happy and relieved to have found a group like this that exists!

      I recently brought my 7 year old kitty (people years) in for a spot I found on her nose. Turns out the spot was nothing but the vet detected a grade 3 heart murmur so I brought her in to the cardiologist. The cardiologist did an echo-cardiogram and a few other tests and told me she had a ' severe hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM) with no evidence of congestive heart failure at this time.'

      The nurses and doctors were really great and took the time to talk to us but I'm so scared that this will severely shorten her life. When I brought her home after the appointment yesterday I couldn't sleep and kept waking up to check on her:(

      The cardiologist put her on atenolol and baby aspirin.

      She really doesn't seem to have any other systems; like difficulty breathing or passing out or anything like that. She's seems to be napping a bit more but that's about it.

      Does anyone else have a cat with this diagnosis? Did they decline rapidly? How is there quality of life now?

    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 17, 2014
        First off bravo to your vet and to you for being proactive!  I know its a daunting diagnosis but to have the knowledge of her condition and to begin the medicine before symptoms show, is wonderful.  Cats can live wonderful long lives with heart disease.  Its important to get used to her breathing, counting her breaths while at rest, so you will know when there is a change.

        Its completely normal to be scared, you're obviously a very loving mom in the fact you took her to the vet due to a change on her nose and in doing so discovered the problematic heart before it became dire.  Its still shocking news to you and in time the worry will lessen, especially as you see her doing well.  Perhaps the drug is making her a little more sleepy as her body adjusts to it?

        This group is so supportive and will help you.  Any time reach out to us.  I don't know what I would have done without the support.

        Laurie and Boo

[...]

      • jenisup2
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 17, 2014
          My Felix has had HCM for less than a year. So far with the right meds he seems to be fine. He does sleep more but the meds can do that. Good luck to you & we are here if you need us!
          Jen and Felix

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 18, 2014
            Hi there

            I am sorry your kitty is poorly, but you are in the right place and we can try and help. First thing is it's impossible to tell the course of HCM but my girl was diagnosed at three months and is  eight years in a few weeks. She was given 'months at most' to live. Medication helps a lot and atenolol is the usual drug and it can slow progression. The aspirin is to prevent clots, most of mine have plavix.

            Most of our cats take COQ 10 at 30mg which seems to help. But once started dont stop suddenly. You need to count breaths now. Count when your cat is asleep and resting and get it on video if you can. The rate should be under 30 a minute, over 30 is risk and over 40 is emergency. Remember at rest.. count for 10 secs and times by 6. Note changes, doubl breaths, pulling in the stomach, open mouth.. and remember your cat is happy and no idea she is poorly.

            Lyn

            www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)
          • Janet
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 18, 2014
              My Grey who was a year old in May, was diagnosed with severe HCM., when I brought him to the ER for plaque type lumps in his neck. I was very lucky I brought him in for that skin allergy because that is when they found the 5/6 heart murmur and severe HCM. He was 10 months old when they found it. He has had the echo,radiographs, EKG and Bloodwork done. He is on Atenolol, Plavix and enalipril for his heart and chlotrimetron and a hypoallergenic diet for the plaque for the past 4 months.(he has gotten bored with the hypo food lately, and was just in the ER on Thursday because he wasn't eating.) I was in shock when he was diagnosed at such a young age with a bad heart...The cardiologist was not very positive about his condition. I was so afraid and scared for him but thank God I found this group. They have been such a positive influence on my mental health and Greys condition. They have given me hope and courage to go forward and not be in a worry mode 24/7. So you are not alone. Everyone on these messages boards are very helpful and encouraging. I am here for you if you need any help too.
              Try not to worry. Think positive. They have come a long way in heart health for kitties.
              Sent from Janet's IPad