Re: [FH] Hi I'm new

  • Lisa Reynolds
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi Debbie
      My cat "Bean" was diagnosed with HCM in December 2001. I was totally
      shocked and heartbroken and I didn't know anything about it. Bean was only
      8 months old when diagnosed so the vet reckons he was born with it. He was
      being treated for a urinary blockage that didn't improve and then the HCM
      was diagnosed. Bean had x-ray's, Ulrasounds - everything you could think
      of. Today he is doing GREAT. He is twice the cat he ever was - more active
      and happier in himself. He is on 1/2 Lasix twice a day, 1/2 Atenolol once a
      day and 1/2 Asprin twice a week. I do limit his exercise now too. He is
      going for his 3 month Ultrasound on Monday so fingers crossed.
      My advice is to read all you can about this disease, find out as much as you
      can - the internet is GREAT. and most importantly find yourself a good vet.
      Mine is a God!!! This group was a great help to me so make sure and keep
      us updated. With the right treatment HCM cats can live a very happy content
      life - It is not a death sentence. They may not have as long on this earth
      as many other cats but as long as Bean is with me his time will be happy.
      Best of luck to you and Chief
      Lisa and Bean

      From: "debgram_2000" <debgram_2000@...>
      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [FH] Hi I'm new
      Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:35:45 -0000
      From sentto-482138-5028-1014921362-lisaasr Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:40:12 -0800

      Hi my name is Debbie and my 1 year old cat Chief was diagnosed with
      hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy yesterday. They found it
      actually by accident went doing an exam on him. He was at the
      Columbus MedVet for an ultrasound on his bladder for occuring urine
      infections. As the vet was listening to his heart she said she heard
      a murmur and it was quite loud 4/6 grade. She sent him to a
      cardiologist(sp?) and the ultrasound found that. He is on Atenolol
      once a day to slow his heart rate down. They want it less than 150
      beats per min. and if it isn't then we have to go to 2 times a day.
      He will be checked again in 2 weeks, then in 3 months for another
      ultrasound to see how fast it's progressing or if it is or not.

      Debbie and Chief

    • Debbie Graham
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
        Lisa and Bean,

        Thanks, I feel better knowing Chief could live a long life but not as long as my 17 and 18 year old, but knowing he isn't going to be leaving me anytime soon sure helps. He is on Atenolol 1/2 a day too. He goes back in 2 weeks to see if that dose is doing what it needs to do. If his heart rate is above 150 I will have to give it to him twice a day. What is the Lasix for?

        I do have a regular vet but Chief will be seeing a cardiologist for this condition. In 3 months he will go back for another ultrasound to see if it had progressed or not. I took him to a specialized clinic on suggestion from my regular vet.

        I feel a lot better knowing he can still lead a healthy life, but getting him to slow down is going to be hard, he just goes and goes.........lol

        Debbie and Chief

      • peggy baldwin
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
          --- Debbie Graham <debgram_2000@...> wrote:

          > Lisa and Bean,
          >
          > Thanks, I feel better knowing Chief could live a
          > long life but not as long as my 17 and 18 year old,
          > but knowing he isn't going to be leaving me anytime
          > soon sure helps. He is on Atenolol 1/2 a day too.
          > He goes back in 2 weeks to see if that dose is doing
          > what it needs to do. If his heart rate is above 150
          > I will have to give it to him twice a day. What is
          > the Lasix for?
          >
          > I do have a regular vet but Chief will be seeing a
          > cardiologist for this condition. In 3 months he
          > will go back for another ultrasound to see if it had
          > progressed or not. I took him to a specialized
          > clinic on suggestion from my regular vet.
          >
          > I feel a lot better knowing he can still lead a
          > healthy life, but getting him to slow down is going
          > to be hard, he just goes and goes.........lol
          >
          > Debbie and Chief

          > removed]

          Dear Debbie,
          My Maxie is on Lasix it is ti remove the fluid
          around her heart she has been on Lasix and Atenlol for
          2 years now and is doing well.
          Peggy

          http://sports.yahoo.com
        • Mike & Linda Irrgang
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2002
            hi lisa, you are so right on the nickel about everything you say....thx for
            the uplifting words...i needed them today.....

            have a great day,

            linda and the boys