The percentages of salt in the foods

  • gypsyrose190
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2014

      Does anyone know how to decipher the percentages they give for the sodium in food.

      I called Natures variety and they told me that is 0.15% in a small can of Beef with no grains

      and in the Rabbit dry limited ingredient it is 0.5%

      and the canned grain free rabbit is 0.12%

      Royal canin told me there is 0.2 grams in a can of their prescriptive Pea and Rabbit

      and in 1 cup of the prescriptive dry Pea and Rabbit is 0.6 grams

      At least Royal Canin broke it down by the cup .. but I dont understand how to break down the amount in the Natures Variety.  and Is that too much for a  heart kitty?

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 2014
        As I was searching for a table or something on how to calculate the sodium in canned cat food, I found this sit that talks a bit about sodium and thought it was useful.

        http://www.vermontveterinarycardiology.com/index.php/for-clients/feeding-the-cardiac-patient

        Does anyone know how to decipher the percentages they give for the sodium in food.
      • Cindy Deukmejian
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2014
          When my Abbey was diagnosed with HCM, I searched for information on a low sodium diet for heart cats and came across this info in an article:
          Most animals with heart failure do well with moderate dietary salt restriction (containing about 0.2 to 0.25% sodium on a dry matter basis for dogs and 0.25 to 0.33% for cats).

          I actually made a chart and started researching the sodium in dry brands and canned in order to stay under the .33% and make the right choice for her.  The dry food amount is usually listed on the bag, but I would have to do more research to find the sodium in canned by first going to the website and then calling the company directly.  When you call for the canned, you need to ask for the dry matter sodium content--that's the number that counts.  If there is a sodium amount listed on the can or on the website, chances are that it's not the dry amount.  Less expensive brands are loaded with sodium, but the premium brands have less, although some are still higher than you would expect.  Tanya's CRF website is a terrific resource since CRF cats need a low sodium diet too and she has already done a lot of research on commercial brands and has dry and canned food numbers on there.  When my angel Abbey was alive, I got lucky that the dry she was already eating (CA Naturals Grain Free) had a sodium amount of .2%.  I switched her canned to Wellness Turkey (.3%) and chicken (.34%).  I tried Wellness Indoors Dry (.22%), but she didn't like it as much as she liked her CA Naturals.  Also, the only treat I gave her was real cooked chicken.

          Hope that helps!