Whispurr's July blood work

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2014
      Whispurr's current meds:

      Furosemide 12.5 mg tablets, 1/2 tablet in the morning and 1 full tablet at night

      Benazepril 5 mg tablets, 1/4 tablet twice a day

      Clopidogrel 75 mg tablets, 1/4 tablet at night

      Pimobendan 2.5 mg/ml suspension, 0.25 ml twice a day

      Spironolactone 25 mg tablets, 1/4 twice a day

      And I still mix CoQ10 powder into her breakfast.

      Last week we came home to upstate New York and I took her to our
      primary vet on Thursday for a renal panel. The office was closed
      Friday (July 4). On Saturday the vet sent me email, but did not send
      the complete lab results. (I will ask for those.) The email said
      Whispurr has a persistent elevation in BUN with normal creatinine. BUN
      was 38 when last checked in Michigan and still 38 last week (reference
      range 10-30). Creatinine was 0.7 when last checked in MIchigan and 0.6
      last week (reference range 0.3-2.1). The email also said her calcium
      is mildly elevated at 12.9 (no reference numbers given). In Michigan,
      on May 28, her calcium was 10.0 (8.6-10.6), so within the normal range
      but on the higher end of that range. And while no numbers were given,
      the vet's email said her sodium and chloride are "slightly" below
      normal, and were normal when last tested in Michigan.

      The vet recommended "an exam and a blood pressure reading to see if we
      can adjust any of her medications that might be causing her
      electrolytes to be out of range in addition to her elevated BUN and
      calcium."

      I called today and made an appointment for Wednesday afternoon.

      Any thoughts about this? How do you balance heart meds with kidney function?

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
    • Jenny
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2014
        Jim,
        Lasix causes sodium and potassium to fall yet is a critical drug for most heart kitties.
        Sodium can be left a bit low according to our kitty's Cardiologist. But potassium is critical for the heart. So when our kitty had low potassium, we supplemented potassium in his food under vet supervision. Once our kitty's chylothorax resolved and his tachyarrhythmia was controlled with cardiazem, we were able to decrease his lasix and no longer needed potassium.
        Jenny

        Sent from a BGTF Phone
      • Elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2014
          Yes, when Trixi's potassium fell, she had kaminox whilst she was on Lasix, but doesn't need it now. Potassium is critical if it is low, can cause all sorts of nervous and weakness problems.

          Lyn

          www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)