My Boots

  • jr12679
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2014
      Hello everyone. A friend of mine referred me to this group. I'm a member of the feline lymphoma group also, as my other cat had lymphoma and passed last year. This post is about my cat Boots. As I'm sure many of you can understand, she is my baby. I called off a wedding last year and she is all I have. After losing my other cat I'm even more paranoid about this one. She's a large girl - has always been a bit overweight and she gained a bit on her exam today. She's 13 lbs. In the last few months her appetite has waxed and wained a bit. She was always a voracious eater. But she was eating less. So I changed the food figuring she was tired of it. And now she is eating the new food with no signs of decreased appetite. today she had a checkup and my vet heard a murmur. It was not present before. She is six years old. He said everything else was good. She does not seem sick that I can see. He did bloods and BNP test. And then is going to get the board certified cardiologist to come in consult with us and do an echocardiogram. He said it could be a variation or normal. Or something else. I have anxiety to begin with so have been shaking and crying for hours. So devastated. Looking for some support and some info. Thanks in advance. Jennifer and boots in ny
    • Kim Cady
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 14, 2014
        Dear Jennifer,

        I can so relate. I have anxiety too. I cry and shake also. My dear Belle Starr 12 yrs. old has been through the wringer. She was found to have Congestive Heart Failure when a vet gave a steroid to her for a very nasty viral infection. The vet basically wrote her off. I took her home and hand fed her through the infection. Was prescribed Lasik to take the fluid off her heart and Benasapril for her heart med. She got better from the virus. I took her to a reg vet for a echo and we saw she did indeed have a thickening of her heart. When I went back to her vet (who never followed up on Belle) I could not get any answers regarding the echo. I have other cats. So, I continued the meds. And brought my next problem kitty in for her dental. In the meantime, this group helped tremendously. Belle started breathing harder. I went to the vet and asked about her meds and made an appt with a cardiologist. It was not until July 8th and she was looking frail. So, this vet I used said she lost the echo, computer problems. That was it. I made an appt. with the new vet. We did another echo and she also did an blood pressure test, and liver, kidney function, and a basic CBC blood work up. Lo and behold, Belle's heart looks better! She had a bad reaction to aspirin, so she is stil on a little less Lasic and the Benazipril. She is doing much better. The vet also added 1000mg of fish oil. The aspirin I am very wary of, it helps prevent clots.

        Long story short.. don't thing the worst... I am the same and understand. I hear that my baby''s are in trouble and all I can think of is the worst... just love your baby and make sure you get the best info you can afford in a timely manner. Going to the cardiologist will be the very best. Belle is much better now. Thinner and still frail.. but, ok. best to you and your baby. Kim

      • Elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 14, 2014
          Hi Jennifer

          It is great you are going to have the ultrasound (echo) done. It will tell you exactly what is wrong and then it can start being treated. I have cats with murmurs that are benign caused by flappy valves and also cats with serious heart problems. But knowing there is a problem before they go into heart failure is always easier to treat. Once you have the results, let us know, it's vital to know what the problem is first.
          I understand the worry. It's frightening and you feel lost at first. It's easier for me after eight years of dealing with heart kittens, but I remember the sleepless nights, getting up to check on them. I promise it gets easier as you learn and remember Boots won't understand why you are stressed, Boots hasn't a clue about the murmur.

          :) Lyn

          www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)
        • Jennifer Raheb
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 14, 2014
            Thanks all. Is there a possibility that this could be benign ? Any telltale signs that it would not be ? I'm terrified

            Sent from my iPhone