tramadol and prednisone

  • penny siegel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11, 2014
      Hi, this is not a heart question, but my vet prescribed tramadol for my cat's arthritis but she is already on prednisone.  She is a covering vet and I am not sure if she remembered that my cat is on the pred.  Does anyone know offhand if these two things can be taken together?  She is on the pred. for IBD.  Worst case, I will just have to wait until morning to start it.  Thanks.  Penny
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11, 2014
        hi Penny,

        I would NOT give a cat Tramadol. There have been too many bad reactions in cats with this drug.  I wouldn't continue to give her the steroids either.  Steroids can cause fluid retention and congestive heart failure.   My angel Sweetie who only had a grade III heart murmur was put on Pred and in a month developed CHF and never recovered fully from that. Heart kitties should never be put on steroids in my opinion.

        For the arthritis, what about giving her a glucosamine supplement and/or acupuncture.  I did both of those and they worked very well for my elderly cats.

        Carol and Angel Misty
        and the gang

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12, 2014
            hi Penny,

            The main side effect that "can" happen are seizures.  I work for a veterinarian, and we rarely ever prescribe it for cats. Dogs do better with it, but not cats.  it can make them agitated, restless, lose motor skills (become very wobbly), and some cats have seizures.  This is from the AMVA website.  It does say that the side effects occur when the dose is too high, but no one really knows how high is too high for some cats, as they all react differently. In our practice, which is a holistic veterinary office, we've seen other vets' patients whose owners have come to us after their cats have had bad reactions to taking Tramadol.

            https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/Poison-pills-for-pets.aspx

            Tramadol – Tramadol (Ultram®) is a pain reliever. Your veterinarian may prescribe it for your pet, but only at a dose that's appropriate for your pet – never give your medication to your pet without first consulting your veterinarian! Too much tramadol can cause sedation or agitation, wobbliness, disorientation, vomiting, tremors and possibly seizures.

            There is a website (AHVMA -American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association) where you can locate holistic vets in your area. Here's the link to that. Maybe you can find someone near you on their list.
            http://www.ahvma.org/Widgets/FindVet.html

            If you can afford it and find a vet who does Traditional Chinese medicine/acupuncture, I think you may be happy with the results.

            Carol and Angel Misty
            and the gang

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12, 2014
                Hi

                My Tess had both of those drugs for IBD and arthiritis,but never both
                together. As Tess was in a lot of pain, we felt the risk of pred was
                unavoidable for her and it helped for a long time. Normally I would
                only give steroid to a heart cat if there is no other alternative.

                When the pred stopped working, we used tramadol. The only side effect
                was about half an hour after taking it she stared into space and purred
                and purred for a while before settling for the day and it gave her the
                mobility to walk to the garden.

                Tess died of kidney failure in the end, but her last few months were
                pain free. In our case we had no choice. As Carol says there are
                preferable alternatives, Arthur has the glucosamine and acupuncture at
                my local vet, but Tess was in chronic pain and it wasn't enough.

                One other thing we did use in her earlier stages was a turmeric
                supplement for cats, but I can't remember the name.

                Lyn

                www.furkids-selkirks.com
              • Jordan
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 12, 2014
                  Carol,

                  This is not true with buprenorphine, correct??

                  Thank you,
                  Jordan and Sheba
                • Carol
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 12, 2014

                    hi Penny,

                    I don't think there would be any lingering side efffects after it clears out of her system. That may take about 12 hours from the time you dosed it.

                    Carol

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 12, 2014
                      Good.  She seems back to herself.  It was as if she was on speed.  However, she really moved around very easily.  I just returned from my regular vet.  I had seen the covering vet this week for this constipation problem.  He tells me he does not have problems with tramadol and that I can use a very minute dose.  I will still research acupuncture but I know it gets very expensive.  I appreciate what you are saying.  Penny