Update For Trixi, Maxi, Maisie and List of UK cardiologists

  • Elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2014
      First here is a list of recommended cardiologist in the UK recommended
      by the veterinary cardiovascular society.

      http://www.bsavaportal.com/vcs/Information/HeartTesting/Dopplerechocardiographyexamination.aspx

      On Monday I took 3 cats to Liverpool for their echoes. We had good and
      bad news.

      Maxi was stable. Max was diagnosed at 12 weeks old, some of you may
      remember his sister Milli who died at new year. Maxi has kept his wall
      size from progressing and they were pleased but he has to lose weight:)

      Maisie was fantastic. All her heart walls except one are now reduced!!
      The murmur has gone and her heart was coping very well with the
      atenolol. The atenolol has not only slowed the progress but caused some
      improvement. Maisie is 6 years old and we are delighted for her:)

      Trixi was not good news however, Trixi is 8 this August and was
      diagnosed as a baby, which means I`ve been here 8 years! Trixi now has
      HCM of both sides of her heart, problems with the valves (SAM) and low
      blood pressure. So she has stopped the vetmedin to see if the blood
      pressure reduces. I`m cautiously worried as you know Trixi had a heart
      attack and was given no chance to live a few years ago. She was given
      vetmedin as a last resort and has been stable for several years. Trixi
      also has slightly increased kidney results this time. So we'll see how
      she goes on with a medication reduction.

      In three months, Alexis and Bobby go for rescans, but I`m worried about
      Bobby, he doesnt tolerate exercise very well so might be sooner.

      Lyn:)

      www.furkids-selkirks.com
    • anushal77
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2014
        Your cats have done very very well since they were diagnosed as kittens. I really hope they continue to do well and the scans for Alexis and Bobby show good news.

        Can I ask, what is their quality of life like? My cat, Bubble, used to be very playful and active but he's been recently diagnosed and we're taking him to a cardiologist. But I just wonder whether he'd have a normal life as a cat i.e. go outdoors, have active play time.

      • Elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2014
          Hi there

          Their quality of life is excellent! They eat and eat, play, run, chase
          and have fun. They have toys and catnip and do everything 'normal' cats
          do. They have no clue they are ill. They do need to rest more often
          than non-heart cats and don't tolerate exercise as well, so playtimes
          are shorter but when you see them chasing craneflies and rolling in the
          catnip, they have as much fun as any other kittie. Sometimes when a new
          medication is introduced, they are more sleepy for a few days though.

          Lyn

          www.furkids-selkirks.com