Aspirin and general quesions...

  • vt_hoki
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2014

      Hi all! Mr. Jinx had his follow-up echo at Michigan State last week after a diagnosis of RCM with CHF on April 24th. The good news is that his heart size has decreased. The bad news is that they did see slight evidence of swirling blood on echo. Apparently a group stared at it for a while and argued whether of not they saw it, so it wasn't obvious. On the side of caution, the cardiologist added one 81mg baby aspirin every third day. I didn't ask, but I got the enteric coated. Anyone know if it matters? The cardiologist was more optimistic than the 6-12mo life expectancy. Not sure if that's just based on what he saw, how he has reacted, or what. No matter... I'll take it!

      Just for reference, Mr Jinx is on 4mg Lasix twice a day, 2.25mL Renal K twice daily, 1/4 of a 75mg Plavix daily, and now one baby aspirin every third day. We did take him off the Plavix and delayed starting the aspirin for a week due to his ear hematoma. It seems to have stopped growing, so that's good. He is back on the Plavix and aspirin now. With his conditions, we are forced to just wait out the hematoma. He seems to be annoyed by it, but it does not seem painful. His big, white Oriental ear is pretty sad looking, though. He is eating well through all of this for now. His weight had dropped to 8lb, 2oz, but he's back up to 8lb, 9.5oz. I like his more like 9lb, but he  is not underweight where he's at now.

      Overall, Mr Jinx seems to be doing well. The only thing we notice is that his front legs do shake some, but he has done that for maybe the past couple of years. It has grown worse, but he doesn't seem to be weak. He is able to jump and run as he wants, so not sure if that should be worrisome or not. Any input on what to expect with the addition of aspirin or things to look for based on experience are appreciated.

      Kelly and Mr. Jinx

    • Kim Cady
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2014
        I have been giving my Belle aspirin 1/3 enteric coated... but, I scrape the insides into her food every Sunday and Thursdays. Have to be so careful. So far, so good. Best to you with Mr. Jinx!
        Kim Cady

        ____________________________________
        Author/Illustrator
        615-209-0473

      • Elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2014
          Hi Kelly

          When Trixi had aspirin she had a third of a baby aspirin every three
          days but it didn't agree with her. She has Plavix as well. It made her
          very very sick and ill, projective vomiting, so we stopped it. This
          happened each day after the tablet so after the third dose, she hasn't
          had it since. So watch for vomiting and nausea although many cats here
          seem to tolerate it well.
          Lyn

          www.furkids-selkirks.com
        • JUDY GOTTLIEB

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2014
              As Lyn mentioned, my Sheba did not tolerate the baby aspirin either.    Shortly after her first dose, she vomited.      Same after the second dose.  So I never gave her a third.

              She is just on Plavix now.

              Hugs to you and Mr. Jinx,
              Jordan and Sheba