urgent: how to hydrate without sub-qs?

  • trasguheart
    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2014
      Hello;
      My beloved Trasgu has hypertrophic cardiopathy with SAM and risk of clots.
      He has mild CRF also.
      He started drug therapy with adiro, atenolol and benazepril. Atenolol we had to stop it as he lowered his pulse in excess (he had only 94 bpm). He is now on 5mg per day (2,5mg each 12h) of benazepril and 50mg adiro (aspirin) each 72h what I consider too much.
      He has been on furosemide while he was having an ascites crisis, but we stopped it when ascites stopped.

      Since then (almost 2 weeks since stopping furosemide) he is very dehydrated and we don´t manage to hydrate him, although we are giving by syringe about 100ml of water per day. He has yellow diarrea since a week now.
      He can´t receive sub-qs as he develops pleural efussion and ascites. The vet said to put him IV but with furosemide all together. I don´t want to put him furosemide as it dehydrates him for several days, so for me giving IV and furosemide is a nosense. I also read on a book of feline cardiopathy that this is a nosense.

      I need to do labworks but being so dehydrated is a nosense.

      So, how can I hydrate him? must I give him more water, may be with a nasogastric tube? Is it better to give him orally ringer lactate instead of water?
      And the most important question for me is: MUST I STOP THE BENAZEPRIL WHILE HE IS DEHYDRATED?

      Yesterday I lowered the benazepril dose to the half (2,5mg once a day instead of twice) and he seems more active today, and less diarrhea, more solid faeces.

      Thanks a lot

    • Elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2014
        Hi

        I hope someone answers this soon. It';s a complicated situation and I`m
        not sure what advice to give except the diarrhoea is the serious cause
        of dehydration and needs treating so glad it's better today. The colon
        is the part which absorbs water.

        www.furkids-selkirks.com