non-crf/heart Pancreatitis

  • arkrabs@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25 6:01 PM
      Chelsea had bloodwork done Thur. and her vet called to say it was pretty good
      except for elevated amylase 2424 (300-2000) and a high band count -13%. This
      is after she's taken Clavamox for 6 days (taken for gum inflammation). Since
      Chelsea's appetite has been poorer lately, she was concerned she might
      possibly have pancreatitis. She told me I should give her Hill's ID for now
      and some sub-Q fluids. My vet didn't say anything about fasting her, but
      just in case it might help, I've only given her food (mostly assist feedings)
      between 9AM and 9PM, to allow the pancreas to rest 12 hrs. She seemed fairly
      normal (though her appetite was still poor) Fri and Sat. Sun she slept a
      good deal. Today she seems to have gotten worse and I see that she peed on
      the pillow she was lying on. So now I'm very worried. I talked w/ my vet
      and she's on call tonight for emergencies (an hr away). We just found out
      there is a vet cardiologist about 4 hrs from here and I want to take her for
      an ultrasound (cardiac & abdominal), but it would be very difficult to do
      before next week.

      I'd appreciate any information or advice regarding pancreatitis. And I'd
      really like to read anyone's personal experience in treating a kitty w/ this
      disease. So far I've Merck's Vet Guide, 5 Min Vet Consult and some web sites.
      I'd like to know if anyone's kitty has had a hi band number (13%) with hi
      amylase and what antibiotics they used.
      Thanks so much!
      Sandy and Chelsea