New member Mr. Jinx

  • vt_hoki
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2014

      Hi! My 13 year old NM Oriental Shorthair, Mr Jinx, was diagnosed with restrictive or unclassified cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure (left sided) last week. He has had an innocent (grade 1/2) murmur since he was young, and echo showed minor leaks of the mitral an tricuspid valves. Not sure if that plays into this or not. After an acute onset of respiratory distress mid-day Thursday, we rushed him to our regular vet, who stabilized him with Lasix, as they suspected a heart issue and pulmonary edema. They do not have echo in-house and his x-rays weren't conclusive, so they recommended we take him straight to Michigan State. We took him last Thursday night, and the diagnosis was confirmed the next day. The xrays at MSU were not conclusive for congestive heart failure, so the CHF diagnosis was based on the fact that he improved so much on Lasix. He stayed on oxygen Thursday night, and he was doing well on room air by Friday afternoon. He was discharged to us Saturday morning. They indicated his life expectancy was 6-12 months. He immediately started on oral liquid Lasix 3x daily and we started Plavix on Monday morning. He has improved, but his appetite has not been so great. He lost about 14 ounces (9lb, 2oz down to 8lb 4oz), so I have been syringe feeding him a can of a/d a day. He has separation anxiety and doesn't eat if my husband and I aren't with him, so combine that with his illness, and I'm thinking he didn't eat for at least 2 days. He had an episode of hepatic lipidosis in 2007, so we are pretty vigilant with his food intake. Follow up blood work one week into this showed his creatinine up to 2.5 (2.4 high normal, was at 1.7 previously) and low potassium. He is on renal K, and they have recommended to take his Lasix down to 2x instead of 3x per day. His appetite is returning and I suspect this may be due to the potassium supplementation. He seems to be doing well, and I am hopeful this will continue. I just don't know what to expect. Any input or experience is appreciated.

      Kelly and Jinx

    • Elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2014
        Hi Kelly

        I`m sorry to hear of Jinx, well done for spottting it and getting quick
        treatment and diagnosis!

        Don't listen to the prognosis, because Jinx won't. My Trixi was given
        three months to live when she was 12 weeks old, and is eight in August
        this year. Drugs help so much in slowing the progression.
        Plavix will reduce the risk of blood clots and lasix takes fluid off
        the lungs but you are right to be concerned as he has mild kidney
        disease too. It's a balance but the heart has to come first and once
        the drugs work, he will be feeling much better.

        I would feed him on anything he will take at the moment and get a
        potassium supplement, we use Kaminox in the UK. It is a beef liquid
        that they love.

        Apologies for repeating this, not sure if you saw my reply about Sassy,
        so when Jinx is at rest, and lightly asleep, count his breaths for 10
        seconds and work out the rate per minute by timing by 6. If you have a
        camera, take videos of his breathing. Up to 30 is as normal, 30+ alarm
        and 40+ is often an emergency.

        You are then monitoring for a change. That might be an increase in rate
        , double intake breaths, breathing with his stomach pulling in hard or
        open mouth breathing.

        :) Lyn

        www.furkids-selkirks.com
      • JOSIE NEWMAN
        Message 3 of 3 , May 11, 2014
          hi kelly

          I wrote a 15 minute long msge and somehow it disappeared! I will tell you briefly that my Chloie has both RCM and CHF, was diagnosed initially in january 2013 and then went congestive in October 2013. at that point, I was told she had very little time to live. her congestion is under control thank God but I am always watching and monitoring her bec I notice her fragility and increasing weakness. she loves her daily routine and being with me and I the same with her.  I thank God for every day she is with me but I am fully aware that she could be gone in a second. I tell you this not to alarm you but to encourage you to cherish every moment you spend with mr jinx.

          hoping he stabilizes, esp with all the TLC you are giving him!

          Josie and Chloie

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          From: vt_hoki@...
          Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 14:33:51 -0700