How high doasge of Furosmide is safe to give?

  • missmeow63
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2014

      Hi all

      My Saphie with RCM is currently taking 30mg of furosmide a day, her breathing has slightly increased so we are increasing to 35 mg but possibly 40 mg a day. The cardiologist has now mentioned adding another diuretic , think it was called Modurete or Tiazide, not sure if this is the same drug, just wondering If anybody on the list had used it? And was it ok?

      Thank you

      Mandy

    • Elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2014
        HI Mandy,

        That's a very very high dose. Trixi at her worst got 5mg every 4 hours
        which was 30mg and that was short term. I would suggest Saphie needs
        something else to control her heart failure as well, maybe an increase
        in vetmedin or fortekor. The other drug, was it Spiro-HTZ? That works
        alongside lasix and might be needed. I`d be concerned at the lasix dose
        over a longer term and definitely ask for something else.

        Lyn

        www.furkids-selkirks.com
      • missmeow63
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2014
          Hi Lyn

          The cardiologist seemed to think spiro would be to weak for Saphie and he suggested the Tiazide , didn't know the vetmedin or fortokor could be increased so I will mention it to the vet next week when I ring, her breathing has increased from her normal 18-20 to 22-24, not overly high but not normal for Saphie.  It was suggested we put her up to 40 mg but I'm trying 35 mg and hoping it works .

          Thank you
          Mandy