newbie please help: ascites

  • trasguheart
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2014

      Hello;My cat is CKD in stage 3. He has big heart problems too. On sunday developped pleural effusion and ascites and was hospitalized.

      After being removed the excess of fluids in abdomen and pleura, and putting him a diuretic, we took it home on monday, with better breathing and better appearance.

      We gave him sub-Qs and tuesday (yesterday) started worsened, with cough and difficulty to breath.

      We call the vet and said to give a dose of 0,5ml of furosemide, wait and see. 8 hour passed and nothing changed, he has difficult to breath, and I haven´t seen an increment in urine excretion. He is dehydrated also.

      The vet said to give another dose of furosemide. Is it risky as he is CKD?

      He is very low in magnesium and have low albumin. This could be the cause it produces flid bluild up one after another? is there something I can do to raise magnesium/albumin?

       thanks

    • Pablo Frank
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2014
        how many mg?

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2014
          Hi

          It is very difficult to manage the conditions together, but it is
          better done in the hospital if possible. If urine output slows or
          stops, that is an emergency and means the kidneys have shut down. I am
          so sorry you are balancing this. If you search for Tanyas CRF site,
          there is more information there. Getting fluid off the chest is vital
          too.

          Lyn

          www.furkids-selkirks.com