Someone on here used neprinol....need to know some things please

  • pray4animals
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2014

      Hello

      I see an old post that you used Neprinol on your cat? Did you notice any side effects like not eating or anemia from the neprinol? How did your baby do?

      I was given neprinol afd by an integrative vet for a kidney cyst and I am worried about side effects because there is little data about use on cats.

      Thank you
      Eric

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2014
        hi Eric,

        I'm a little confused as to why the vet gave you the Neprinol for a kidney cyst.  Neprinol is a combination of anti-fibrinolytic enzymes and anti-inflamatory enzymes.
        Here is the link to the manufacturer's ingredient explanations.
        http://www.neprinol.com/neprinol-ingredients-2-2/#aam_switcher_wrapper

        The Serrapeptase, Nattokinase are the anti-fibrinolytic enzymes.  Nattokinase is commonly used to prevent and dissolve blood clots.   The Lipase is a digestive enzyme that breaks down fats.  Protease breaks down proteins.  Amla is Indian Gooseberry, typically used as an antioxidant, is very high in Vitamin C.  http://www.herbalprovider.com/amla.html

        Papain and Bromelain are the enzymes from papaya (papain) and pineapple (bromelain), and when taken on an empty stomach act as anti-inflamatories.  When taken with food, they act as digestive enzymes.  Rutin is a bioflavonoid that is used in reducing fluid build-up in cats with chylothorax. It also has anti-clotting properties.  CoQ10 is an anti-oxidant that is often used to improve heart function.   Magnesium supports blood viscosity.

        Proprietary blend neprinol AFD 500 mg, systemic and lipolytic enzyme blend (serrapeptase, nattokinase, lipase) neprinol protease blend (protease derived from serratia B. subtilis and A oryzae) neprinol enzyme and cofactor blend (amla, papain, bromelain, rutin, coenzyme Q10, magnesium) 15,000 FU.

        This supplement has a lot of ingredients in it, some of which might be duplicated in other supplements, so I'd make sure that you don't also give separately any Nattokinase or Vitamin C, since this supplement has quite a lot of those in it.  This also has magnesium, which can cause diarrhea.  I'd be very interested to know why the vet prescribed this for a kidney cyst.

        Carol

          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2014
            Thanks, ERic.  I didn't know that the cyst was a fibrin cyst.  That makes total sense now!

            Humans use neprinol to shrink or dissolve cysts. The cyst wall is made up of fibrin which Neprinol dissolves.