Stupid Question

  • anita_hamer
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6 4:52 PM

      I have what is probably a stupid question but I have to ask anyway. Now that we made it through the unbearably long winter and many days of subzero temps; will very hot and high humidity days be cause for extra vigilance? Fortunately, Squeaker only had one instance of pleural effusion in Sept 2013. I am concerned that high humidity may cause some fluid to build again.

      Anita and Squeaker

    • marianna.mayer
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6 6:06 PM
        Anita... please, please there are no stupid questions. The thought that you would think that any question posed is stupid defies what we are doing here. We so want our humans to ask whatever question...and we will all try to the best of our experience answer responsibly.
        Your question is an extremely good one. Humidity is a huge problem for heart cats....at times even worse than extremely cold temp. Where are you located?  Many caretakers, including me, opt for A/C  ... I'm in high humid rural CT... early in the warmer season I turn on the A/C for my animals, even those with no dx known heart or breathing issues.
        Marianna
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6 6:36 PM

          We have this discussion every summer -- thanks for bringing it up.  If you are in a warm or humid place, you really need to get a/c for your heart kitty.  The heat is really hard on them.  Tigger feels it before I do.  The day that I see him stretched out flat like a pancake on the tile floor, that's the day I turn on the a/c for him, if *I* need it or not. We don't want to put any kind of undue stress on their precious little hearts.

        • marianna.mayer
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6 6:37 PM
            Honestly, I would *not* wait to see my cat stretch out as Wendy described, before turning on the A/C. I watch the online humidly % daily to rule out potential stress.

            Marianna

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 7 3:55 AM
              Hi

              No question here is ever stupid. Only this morning I asked the vet would it bother Bobby that he ate a peppermint teabag. But honestly, even the most unusual question offers great value to everyone,
              I have no A/C so I have a fan. The heart cats flop out and we keep a special eye on them, lucky the UK isn't as hot as America.

              Lyn:)

              www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)