Does anyone have or had a cat with moderate band cardiomyopathy?

  • jomarbut
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2014
      Our cat, despite an echo two years ago that showed no heart disease-he had a heart murmur that was ruled stress related-he developed CHF and the echo showed Moderate Band Cardiomyopathy.  We are treating the symptoms as we do our cat with HCM.  Very little is known about the disease, the effects, how it will react to meds, and how long the cat may live.  Any information and experience would be useful. Thank you.
    • RenaRF
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2014
        Moderator band cardiomyopathy??  Yes - I do!!  Rufus was diagnosed with an arrhythmia (ventricular) on Thanksgiving (yes, we spent Thanksgiving in the ER).  His follow-up appointment with the cardiologist and the echo cardiogram showed that he had two moderator bands - they look like filaments, they’re so thin - in his LEFT ventricle.  They are not supposed to be there.  The cardiologist thinks that he has likely had this since birth, and that over time (Rufus is almost 7 years old), the scar tissue where the abnormal monitor bands attach have become electrified, which is what causes that extra ventricular beat.

        Rufus’ ventricle wall thickness was also evaluated and they say they can’t say it’s thickening and they can’t say it’s not at this point.  He has a recheck ECM scheduled for June.

        The primary concern for me given all of this is that extra ventricular heartbeat, which can be dangerous and can cause sudden death.  Rufus was put on a low dose of atenolol beginning in January. He gets 6.25mg daily.  He hasn’t had any side effects (thank God).  When he had a recheck EKG in late February, the arrhythmia had improved.  Here’s hoping his June recheck is equally as encouraging.

        What do they say about your kitty?  Is he retaining fluid and how are you treating?  What other symptoms does he have?

        Rena

        On Apr 1, 2014, at 2:26 PM, jomarbut@... wrote:

        Our cat, despite an echo two years ago that showed no heart disease-he had a heart murmur that was ruled stress related-he developed CHF and the echo showed Moderate Band Cardiomyopathy.  We are treating the symptoms as we do our cat with HCM.  Very little is known about the disease, the effects, how it will react to meds, and how long the cat may live.  Any information and experience would be useful. Thank you.

      • joanne marbut
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2014
          We are treating the symptoms with medications that we also use with our HCM cat: lasix, spironolactone, plavix, and he's on Pimobendan a.k.a. Vetmedin (the HCM cat is not.)   Our cardiologist didn't say anything about bands causing electrical impulses or abnormal heart beat.  But we do know that they act in the heart similar to HCM-cause or make it look as if the walls are thick and can cause the same effect-difficulty in pumping sufficiently and cause congestive heart failure. HIs left vent is slightly thick and asymmetrical.  Is your cat on lasix? You should consider it.   While the assumption is that this condition is always congenital, our cat has had two clear echos in the last four years (he's seven) but had a heart murmur since birth considered stress induced (it was loud.)   That means MBCM suddenly appeared sometime in the last two years.   Our cat stopped eating well enough this summer, lost some weight, began to lose more weight in January, and wasn't feeling well two weeks ago so I took him to the vet.  That's when we found congestion and we called our cardiologist who saw him later that day. He's been in the ER twice in two weeks to battle congestion.  I've begun a Facebook and blog for feline MBCM in order to track his progress and to gather info.  There's not much out there except basic pathology but nothing from pet owners.  Thanks for answering.  Please keep in touch about your cat's progress.
        • Elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2014
            Hi

            I have a few cats with CM, but none with a moderate band , although I have Maisie who has strange extra heart beats, left ventricle too. Maisie was scanned clear of cardiomyopathy at age 2 and 3, but showed this at age 4. Her brother has HCM and a hole in the heart, another brother and sister have HCM. Mum was scanned clear and is fine aged 8. So three separate conditions in one litter. The rest of the litter scanned normal to date. I wonder if they are all related genetic conditions, or Maisie's extra beat (Not sure if this was a moderate band?)  is separate.

            Lyn

            www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)
          • Janet
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2014
              My 10 month old kitten was diagnosed last month with hypertophic cardiomyopathy with Moderator Band. He was brought into the ER for a skin problem and the ER doctor said she heard a 5/6 heart murmur. When we adopted him we were told he had a 1/2 heart murmur and not to worry . He was 6 months when we adopted him.
              The cardiologist told us he has serious heart disease and that if he gets thru the first year then he can maybe live 4 or 5 years but not the length of a normal cat. She put him on atenolol once a day, enalipril twice a day and Plavix every other day.
              So far he is doing pretty good. His resting heart beats are between 20 and 28.
              I am hoping they stay that way. .he has not had CHF.
              I LIKED your Facebook page as I am hoping others with cats with moderator band HCM will give more information.

              Sent from Janet's IPad