Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Don't know what to do

Expand Messages
  • schendeldiane
    I I made an appointment for I home euthanasia today but now I m questioning that decision. Bentley has lymphoma and an enlarged heart and infiltrates in his
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2014
    • 0 Attachment
      I I made an appointment for I home euthanasia today but now I'm questioning that decision.  Bentley has lymphoma and an enlarged heart and infiltrates in his lungs causing rapid respirations.  The vet said chest X-Ray looked  like asthma but wanted to do another echo first to check the heart, I didn't do it.  I was so scared last night because his respirations were 40-45 per minute and I noticed a slight jerk on exhale which was new.  He is still eating, playing, grooming but he did have a coughing spell today.  The vet said that if he has that much energy it is even more likely it's asthma instead of his heart and I should put him back on 10mg prednisolone 2x per day to start and see if it calms down.  I'm just terrified of a breathing crisis in the middle of the night and would rather he goes in a controlled, peaceful way.  I don't believe in waiting too long.  Any advice?  I'm exhausted and stressed out beyond words.

      Diane
    • Westgold
      This is a horrible decision to have to make. Many of us have been through it. Many of us regret that we didn t act sooner, that we kept our little ones
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2014
      • 0 Attachment
        
        This is a horrible decision to have to make.  Many of us have been through it.  Many of us regret that we didn't act sooner, that we kept our little ones around longer than we should have, simply because we loved them so much and couldn't let go.  But all that matters is the kitty's quality of life.  We owe them to give them the gift of peace from pain and suffering.  This is our obligation and responsibility to them, to thank them for all the love they gave us their whole life. 
         
        I have found that when a kitty is ready to go, they usually tell us.  If you look deep into his eyes, you should see it.  My soul-kitty said so clearly to me that one morning, "please let me go".  I kept him around longer than I should have, and was so sorry later. 
         
        But it sounds like Bentley is still engaged in life, and not ready to go.  If there is a good chance that his problems can be controlled with meds, you might want to give it a try for a while and see how it goes.  Given what you told us, I would try.  But I know there's nothing scarier than a crisis in the middle of the night ---
         
        Do NOT let them give a steroid shot, if there is heart disease that could cause his death right there.  Try to see if the inhaled steroids will help, they are safe, even for heart kitties.  as is a nebulizer, steam, etc. 
         
        we will say a prayer for you & Bentley --
        ----- Original Message -----
        Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 2:24 PM
        Subject: [FH] Don't know what to do

         

        I I made an appointment for I home euthanasia today but now I'm questioning that decision.  Bentley has lymphoma and an enlarged heart and infiltrates in his lungs causing rapid respirations.  The vet said chest X-Ray looked  like asthma but wanted to do another echo first to check the heart, I didn't do it.  I was so scared last night because his respirations were 40-45 per minute and I noticed a slight jerk on exhale which was new.  He is still eating, playing, grooming but he did have a coughing spell today.  The vet said that if he has that much energy it is even more likely it's asthma instead of his heart and I should put him back on 10mg prednisolone 2x per day to start and see if it calms down.  I'm just terrified of a breathing crisis in the middle of the night and would rather he goes in a controlled, peaceful way.  I don't believe in waiting too long.  Any advice?  I'm exhausted and stressed out beyond words.


        Diane




        This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.


      • Elfinmyst
        Hi I agree with the last poster with everything said. It s quality of life and inhaled steroids are very safe, even with heart disease. Giving prednisolone
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2014
        • 0 Attachment

          Hi

          I agree with the last poster with everything said. It's quality of life and inhaled steroids are very safe, even with heart disease.  Giving prednisolone tablets could push him into heart failure. I would only risk anything like that if there was an emergency vet on call 24 hours nearby. If he is eating, playing and purring, that is a good sign, but ultimately no one can really advise one way or the other, as his pet parent, the decision is yours. It's a horrible situation and I send my love to you both.

          Lyn
          www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)
        • Dana McCormick
          Hi Diane, I would not give pred, as it can push him over the edge with his heart, it happened to me. The vet prescribed pred for my heart dog s allergy, I gave
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2014
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi Diane,

            I would not give pred, as it can push him over the edge with his heart, it happened to me. The vet prescribed pred for my heart dog's allergy, I gave her a pill at night and she was gone 12 hrs later. If you can, get Flovent from a drug store until you can purchase it online at a much cheaper price. If the vet is right about asthma, this will help immensely. I have 4 kitties on heart meds and Flovent.

            Dana


            On Friday, March 28, 2014 2:52 PM, Elfinmyst <elfinmyst@...> wrote:
             

            Hi

            I agree with the last poster with everything said. It's quality of life and inhaled steroids are very safe, even with heart disease.  Giving prednisolone tablets could push him into heart failure. I would only risk anything like that if there was an emergency vet on call 24 hours nearby. If he is eating, playing and purring, that is a good sign, but ultimately no one can really advise one way or the other, as his pet parent, the decision is yours. It's a horrible situation and I send my love to you both.

            Lyn
            www.furkids-selkirks.com:-)


          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.