Where to get echocardiogram in upstate NY?

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 19, 2014

      My vet wants Whispurr to have an echocardiogram. She is a female DFH, spayed, about 9 years old, with a heart murmur, what the vet called a "split" heartbeat, high cardiac BNP, and now she has a big belly that the vet thinks has fluid in it. We tried Cornell, but the earliest cardiology appointment we could get there isn't until May 14, unless she has a crisis and is admitted through emergency. Obviously my vet and I would much prefer to get her seen *before* a crisis happens. I just tried calling a specialty vet center in Rochester. They said they do not currently have a cardiologist on staff, but there might be one at Orchard Park near Buffalo. I called there and left a voicemail message. Right now I am in the parking lot of my vet's office, typing on my phone, and my phone's browser is not being cooperative in letting me look at the hospital's web site to see if it has a cardiologist. Anyone know if there's another option for a cardiology consult and echocardiogram in central New York State, if Cornell can't get us in quickly?

      Jim Sinclair  jisincla@...

    • J. R.
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 19, 2014
        Hi. We have no experience with this group (Cornell is the place to go if you can) for the time we lived upstate but you may want to try

        Upstate Veterinary Specialties, PLLC,

        222 Troy-Schenectady Road, Suite B

        Latham, New York

        USA 12110

        Ph:(518) 783-3198

        Fax: (518) 783-3199

        On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:16 PM, Jim Sinclair <jisincla@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Westgold
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 19, 2014

          Can you get to Toronto?  Contact VEC -- 416-920-2002 -- excellent female cardiologist on staff there, you might be able to get an appt there faster.  That's where I take Tigger.

        • Dana McCormick
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 19, 2014
            Hi Jim,

            My vet is Orchard Park. I don't know if you've heard back from them yet, but they don't have a cardiologist. They have 1 of only 2 board certified internists in the Buffalo area. Fuzz actually sees another vet there that isn't board certified, but she is very good and does his echos.  They are a 24/7 facility. Let me know if you wish more info.

            Dana & Fuzz

            On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:34 PM, Westgold <westgold@...> wrote:

            Can you get to Toronto?  Contact VEC -- 416-920-2002 -- excellent female cardiologist on staff there, you might be able to get an appt there faster.  That's where I take Tigger.

          • JOSIE NEWMAN
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 19, 2014
              I can attest to the excellence of regan williams, the cardiologist you are discussing from the VEC in Toronto. that is where I take my Chloie at least every two weeks, if not every week, since October when she was diagnosed with CHF as I live in the TO area. i have gone to regan since long before that, though, too. she is not only an excellent cardiologist with clear insight but has wonderful people skills. she is wise enough to know she is treating the "parent" as much as the animal.

              I have my own story of woe from today, unfortunately, when I had to rush Chloie to a very inferior vet in the 'burbs where I live.  she was staggering a bit and I was afraid she may have thrown a clot. she also lay down on the floor and has been going into the bathroom, apparently to seek the cooler floor, the past few days. (cooler floor seeking makes me worried about her kidneys acting up)I can't even talk about the obscene amount of money this inferior place charged me and cut me off at every turn when I even wanted to say something about my own cat's health. it was horrible. I am taking my Chloie to Regan tomorrow to see what's up.

              does anyone have any insight about what may be plaguing Chloie now? I had one of the worst days I've had in months due to her looking unsteady for several minutes when she walked and then lay down on the floor. I've written a lot about her condition but can clarify it if anyone has any response to this email. I am very exhausted and depressed now.

              thanks
              Josie and Chloie

              To: jarsterjunk@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
              From: westgold@...
              Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:34:56 -0400
              Subject: Re: [FH] Where to get echocardiogram in upstate NY?

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 19, 2014

                Although I love Dr Williams, Tigger says "not so much".   As wonderful as she is, he sure hates to be poked and prodded.  When we saw her the first time, Tigger hid under the towel I had in his carrier, he was totally terrified.  We had to disassemble the carrier to get him out.

                From: westgold@...
                Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:34:56 -0400

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 19, 2014
                  Thank you, I will try calling there tomorrow.

                  Cornell can't see her until May 18, unless she has a crisis and is
                  admitted through emergency. If she does have a crisis, she might not
                  survive the two-hour drive to get her there!

                  Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

                  On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 5:26 PM, J. R. <jarsterjunk@...> wrote:

                  > Hi. We have no experience with this group (Cornell is the place to go if you can) for the time we lived upstate but you may want to try
                  >
                  > Upstate Veterinary Specialties, PLLC,
                  >
                  > 222 Troy-Schenectady Road, Suite B
                  >
                  > Latham, New York
                  >
                  > USA 12110
                  >
                  > Ph:(518) 783-3198
                  >
                  > Fax: (518) 783-3199

                • Jim Sinclair
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 19, 2014
                    *I* could get to Toronto, but Whispurr can't legally go there right
                    now. Her rabies vaccination expired, and she's not in good health so
                    we haven't gotten her revaccinated yet. I can't cross the border with
                    her. (Well, I *could* if nobody searched the vehicle, but if I did get
                    flagged for a search and didn't have an up-to-date vaccination
                    certificate, it would be bad.) We need to stay in the US until she is
                    able to get a rabies shot.

                    Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 19, 2014
                      Hi Dana. Yes, Orchard Park called me back and explained that they
                      don't have a cardiologist, and an internist does echocardiograms. That
                      might not be too bad actually, because Whispurr would probably benefit
                      from a workup by an internist too. I will need to discuss that with my
                      vet. Is the internist, or the other vet who does Fuzz's
                      echocardiograms, also able to diagnose and treat whatever heart
                      problems are found?

                      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

                      On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Dana McCormick <danamcmk@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jim,
                      >
                      > My vet is Orchard Park. I don't know if you've heard back from them yet, but they don't have a cardiologist. They have 1 of only 2 board certified internists in the Buffalo area. Fuzz actually sees another vet there that isn't board certified, but she is very good and does his echos. They are a 24/7 facility. Let me know if you wish more info.
                      >
                      > Dana & Fuzz
                    • JOSIE NEWMAN
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 19, 2014
                        I'm pretty sure tigger would feel the same way about anybody poking him........plus he has an awfully long car ride to see regan. I find regan very non-intrusive and gentle, and Chloie seems to begrudgingly like her.

                        To: josienewman@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                        From: westgold@...
                        Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 00:51:05 -0400

                        From: westgold@...
                        Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:34:56 -0400

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 20, 2014
                          Hi Jim,

                          Orchard Park's internist is Dr Brummer. Fuzz sees Dr Minnier, who is awesome. She treated Leroy when diagnosed and at his next echo, his measurements returned to normal and stayed normal. We have Fuzz and the rest of The Fuzzies on the same protocol Leroy was. Dr M is more open to supplements, etc than Dr B. He is pretty by the book, needs hard proof that things work. Dr M's attitude is I can't put my finger on why it's working, all I care is that it is. For example, he gave Fuzz 6 months with his severe HCM, his measurements have greatly improved with the protocol where Dr M calls him mild-moderate now. Dr B is the referral vet for Western New York.

                          I have worked with Dr B over the years.

                          There is also a place in Rochester that has a cardiologist, I was actually going to take Fuzz there for a 2nd opinion when initially diagnosed, but I feared the trip would kill him and not alot to be gained. I can't think of who it was right now, I'll let you know if I come up with it.

                          Dana & Fuzz

                          To: josienewman@...; feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                          From: westgold@...
                          Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 00:51:05 -0400

                          From: westgold@...
                          Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:34:56 -0400

                            From: westgold@...
                            Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 00:51:05 -0400

                            From: westgold@...
                            Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:34:56 -0400

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 23, 2014
                              In case it is of interest to anyone else in upstate NY, my vet says
                              Upstate Veterinary Specialties in Latham has two cardiologists who are
                              both excellent.

                              Unfortunately, they are also booked. Whispurr is on a cancellation
                              list in case any openings come up this week. Otherwise, we will go to
                              Michigan (I was planning to go next month anyway, to spend the
                              Passover holiday with my family) so she can see a cardiologist at the
                              specialty hospital there.

                              Now that it seems pretty definite that I have another heart kitty, I
                              will introduce her in a new thread.