how often do those with cats in CHF with serious RCM have them "tapped"?

  • JOSIE NEWMAN
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2014
      hi there

      would like to thank everyone who's responded to my posts thus far. your support is wonderful and I have received some new info that was useful. I am wondering how often those of you with cats in CHF who have RCM ONLY and whose condition is quite advanced have their cats "tapped"? i.e. fluid drained from around lungs by the cardiologist or vet?

      from what I've read here, hardly anybody seems to have had their cats tapped which is amazing! Chloie has very advanced CHF in RCM and has a high Lasix dose -- 27 mgs per day. by raising the Lasix, the frequency of being tapped was reduced, thank God. at first, she was being tapped every nine days or so and it was traumatic for her and for me. it was a nightmare. once Lasix was raised, congestion was staved off. by time she needed tapping she was usually carrying around 100 to 120 mls the cardiologist said. she is a tiny cat, just around nine pounds so feels congested more easily.

      she went for seven weeks prior to the last tap which was great. when I take her this wk, it will be five weeks since her last tap. she seems congested now, though. so I am afraid the Lasix will have to be raised again.

      Josie and Chloie

    • Elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2014
        Hi Josie

        I never had any of mine tapped, but maybe others can help. But when they got congested, we added more lasix or spironolactone which works alongside it.
        Also added new drugs, so Milli and Trixi ended up on pimobendan, fortekor, atenolol, spiro, lasix.
        If the times get shorter I would ask about adding a new drug and spiro.

        Lyn
      • Blakey Girl
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2014
          My boy is going through this right now. I'm not a fan of tapping so i've never had it done to him. Right now he's on 20 of lasix twice a day but when he gets real bad, the vet gave me the ok to do 20 every 8 hours. It always seems to do the trick. Not sure if that's helpful or not though :(

          Blake and Schmutz

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2014
            Hi Josie~

            Seven months after my Abbey was diagnosed with advanced and severe HCM, she started having fluid on the outside of her lungs.  I was bringing her about every 2 weeks to get her lungs tapped (about 100mls or more on average) and her cardiologist would raise her Lasix dose.  I'm lucky b/c she tolerated going to her doctor and her doc got to know Abbey so well that she knew exactly the spot to tap her...she also never had to be sedated for it.  Finally, after about 2 months of this, her cardiologist decided to prescribe Spiro.  We started with 1/4 pill in the evening with her night meds and Abbey lasted a little longer than 2 weeks, but I still had to bring her back.  Then her doc upped it to 1/2 pill and that did the trick!  She didn't need a tap for 6 months and I will be forever grateful for those last 6 months of her life.  The drugs she was on:  AM (40mgs Lasix, 1/4 Plavix, Pimobendan, Benazapril) PM (30mgs Lasix, Pimobendan, 1/2 Spiro).  Her Lasix dose was very high, but that was raised slowly while trying to eliminate the fluid on the outside of her lungs.  She did okay with it (her creat was always in the 2 range) and her doctor said animals process drugs differently just like humans.  She was also 17lbs.  When the Spiro worked, I asked about decreasing the Lasix, but her doc didn't want to make any changes b/c she was stable and I understood that.

            What's important is that I praised Abbey all the time and always told her how proud I was of her.  I would tell her that each time we went to her doctor and everyday she got her meds.  It was a lot for us both to go through, but we went through it together and love was our strength.  Treat each day as a blessing.

            Cindy