Gel Caps?

  • Missy Zane
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2014
      Question for those of you who put all of your cats' meds in gel caps. What size gel cap do you use? Sizzle's cardiologist recommended #4, but even his 1/4 of a Plavix tablet doesn't fit. I bought some human probiotic capsules, pour the powder out and put Sizzles meds in. But all of his meds won't fit in one so I need to use two. I'd love it if he had to swallow just one capsule.

      Thanks...
      Missy
    • RenaRF
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2014
        Hi Missy!  I pulled this information from Tanya’s Comprehensive Feline CRF site, since so many list members use gel caps.  If you scroll down, you’ll see there’s an actual size link so you can get an idea of what size to use as well as suppliers in the US.  Hope that helps!  Original link is here:  http://www.felinecrf.org/medicating_your_cat.htm#gelcaps

        Rena

        If you have to give your cat several medications, it can be much easier to give them all at once by placing all the medications in an empty gelatin capsule (gelcaps in the USA) and just giving the one capsule; this also gets round the problem of foul-tasting medicines. You buy the gelatin capsules or gelcaps empty and fill them with the medications of your choice (though check with your vet about the combinations you have in mind, since not all medications can be taken with others). It may help to coat the capsule in butter before giving it to your cat: most cats like the taste of butter and it helps the gelcap go down smoothly. It is also helpful to follow any medications with water (see the importance of a water chaser).

        Gelatin capsules come in various sizes, from 000-5, with 5 being the smallest. As a general rule, you need the smaller sizes for cats, and most people on Tanya's CKD Support Group use size 3-4or occasionally size 2,depending upon how many medications they will be putting in the capsule and how big their cat is. If you can only buy size 0 or size 1, one member found that if she took the capsule apart and cut part off the top of one end, when it was reassembled it was smaller and easier to give.

        Torpac sizes shows actual sizes of capsules, but is a manufacturer, not a retailer. Torpac also provides a pdf dosing guide.
        Torpac dimensions gives the dimensions of the capsules.
        Torpac Funnel is a little funnel to use when filling the gelcaps.

        US Suppliers

        Many health food shops sell empty gelcaps, usually the NOW brand which is available in a size 3. If they don't have them in stock, they can usually order them for you quite quickly.
        • Thomas Labs charge US$9.95 per 1000 Size 4 gel caps with free shipping ground UPS in USA. Minimum order of US$30 required. Search for capsules if necessary.
        • Thriving Pets sells a variety of gelcaps from size 0 - size 5, with sizes 3 and 4 costing US$3 for 100. If you enter the word "tanya" (without the ") in the promotional code box, you will receive a 10% discount on orders over US$55. Shipping is free for orders over US$55 after the discount.
        • Capsuline sells size 3 beef or chicken flavoured Cat Caps. At US$23.95 for 1000 plus shipping, they are more expensive than unflavoured gelcaps, which they also sell. They also sell a capsule filling machine but it is expensive at US$80.99 and only seems to work for larger size capsules.

        On Feb 19, 2014, at 9:20 PM, Missy Zane <missyz@...> wrote:

        Question for those of you who put all of your cats' meds in gel caps. What size gel cap do you use? Sizzle's cardiologist recommended #4, but even his 1/4 of a Plavix tablet doesn't fit. I bought some human probiotic capsules, pour the powder out and put Sizzles meds in. But all of his meds won't fit in one so I need to use two. I'd love it if he had to swallow just one capsule.

        Thanks...
        Missy

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2014

          hi Missy,

          I use #3, #2, #1 and #0, depending on how many meds I have to put into them. The #0's are the largest I use. for kitties with small mouths, I use #3.  Those #4's are really just too tiny for much of anything.

          Carol and Angel Misty

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 19, 2014
            Re: [FH] Gel Caps? Missy I am using #1 capsules and they are also easily swallowed if you are fair at pilling and have a somewhat cooperative kitty.
            The size #1 is the same as the dasuquin, cosequin and Co-Q-10 (  by Vitacost) capsules.   I fit three1/4 pills plus 1/3 of a large Vetmedin plus some ground down Vetmedin plus a little B-Right powder in there very tightly packed. I grind down a portion of the vetmedin with a spoon to let it fill the gaps. So a lot fits in there and it is still quite small. I ordered a package of 1000 of these caps from Amazon ( Now brand) Enough for 500 days and thinking positively.

            I prep 4 at a time and use a little smooth hardwood board into which I have drilled less than 1/4 : deep holes with the largest drill size of my drill kit to hold the  open gelcaps steady. I use a very small perfume funnel which just fits into the opening of this size gelcaps to pour the ground down powders in from a folded small piece of paper because I do not have a steady hand, when it is this important not to spill.

            All of this I do on an 8x11” sheet of paper to make sure when pill pieces jump during crushing or powderized meds are spilled that I can  collect  the errant pieces.

            Most pills do not split exactly in the middle, often I have to shave from the bigger pill half or pill quarter as it matters with heart medications to get the dose right .

            Hths

            Erika

            on 2/19/14 21:20 , Missy Zane at missyz@... wrote:

            Question for those of you who put all of your cats' meds in gel caps. What size gel cap do you use? Sizzle's cardiologist recommended #4, but even his 1/4 of a Plavix tablet doesn't fit. I bought some human probiotic capsules, pour the powder out and put Sizzles meds in. But all of his meds won't fit in one so I need to use two. I'd love it if he had to swallow just one capsule.

            Thanks...
            Missy
          • hoofbeats95
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 20, 2014
              Hi Missy,

              I give my cat many gelcaps per day.  I get mine from Thriving Pets. http://www.thrivingpets.com/index.php/gelatin-capsules.html

              I have used #2 - #5 at various times.  I currently use #3 and #4.  In my case the #3's hold the vetmedin that I cut into 4's.  I put 2 in each #3 capsule.  I use #4 for her lasix and also for the plavix/lasix at night.  For me I can easily fit 1/4th of my Plavix in the #4 gelcap.   I felt like #2's were a bit big for her to swallow but I have used them at various times.   I've never ordered bigger than a #2.  Sophie gets 7 gelcaps a day with various meds in them!   Hope this helps.
            • Debbie Loffredo
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 20, 2014

                When I wanted to try the gel caps I realized that my local pharmacy (which so happened to be filling the heart meds) was a compounding pharmacy,  so I asked the pharmacist about empty caps and he showed me the various sizes they had.
                 I got a small supply from them to begin with to test things out and then bought a bag on line I ended up using 0's, they worked great got all meds in one and was so much easier to get the meds in the cat,  I didn’t lose a tiny white 1/2 or 1/4 tab in a mound  of white hair if the pill didn’t get off my finger, he didn’t have to taste any meds,  the gel caps were a gift.  I have told all the vets and vet students I know.  I have to thank this group for that.