New to this & worried…when is it time?

  • adelgadorey
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2014
      Hi, I'm new to this & so grateful this group is here…my 6 yo male cat Chicken came home from the hospital a week ago after 5 days in in an oxygen incubator and CHF…he went from breathing slightly fast (which is why I brought him in) at the vet's into complete heart failure, and they didn't think he'd make it out again…he's on 4 meds, twice a day, but last night when I got home, his breathing was so labored, and as he lay on my chest I could hear his breath and it was wheezy and gurgling…I completely lost it.

      Chicken has Restrictive Cardiomyopathy and the vet seems so guarded in giving any prognosis…all I got was, he could die tomorrow, he could live a year, so i'm a bit at a loss. I gave him his meds and after an hour or two he seemed better…is this how it's going to be? Should I stop freaking out and just enjoy the time I have with him, or is he in pain and I'm being selfish keeping him alive? The idea of losing Chicken is unbearably painful, I have such a close bond with him. Thanks so much for reading this, I really appreciate any advice from people who have gone through this…I just want what's best for him…
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2014
        I'm sorry to hear of Chicken's dx but know it is does not mean it's the end.  Was an echo done by a cardiologist?  What are the meds and doses?

        The resting respiratory rate is important to monitor.  Anything above 40 is an emergency.  The trick is to be sure Chicken is at rest... sleeping but not in a deep dream state.

        My cat was rushed to the ER with the same breathing trouble and was also in ICU in oxygen for a few days.  She fought and came home to me... she has been taking meds 2x a day too... and that was over 2yrs ago!  So please don't lose hope.  Sometimes it's just a matter of tweaking the meds/doses until he is stable.

        One of the best pieces of advice I received when I joined this group was that Boo doesn't know she is sick, and my stress causes her stress.  Easier said than done, especially when first diagnosed, but know this... it DOES get easier.

        Laurie and Boo

        On Friday, January 31, 2014 2:59 PM, "allie@..." <allie@...> wrote:

[...]

      • missmeow63
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2014

          So sorry to hear about Chicken, My Saphie also has RCM, and the best advice I can give to you is to try not to stress, easier said than done, but in fact it helps both of you. Saphie was diagnosed last July and was given a few months to live, she's currently taking Furosemide , Vetmedin, Fortokor, Plavix and Aspirin, and still continues to do well. This group will help you a lot and will give you hope. I lost another cat to RCM 4 1/2 years ago, really wish I knew about this group then. Also keep eye on breathing rate, I do this daily and a weight check weekly.

          Mandy

        • Mary Sue Rubin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2014

            Hi,

            One of my cats was diagnosed with restrictive-like cardiomyopathy and CHF 12 months ago. She was in bad shape and given 6 months to live, if we were lucky. She did not have the breathing problems Chicken had/has, but she did have ascites. Her second echo showed improvement. She is on Lasix, Vetmedin, aspirin, and benazepril. She will be 19 in three weeks. She does not appear or act ill. Was Chicken’s diagnosis from a cardiologist ? It can take some time to get the meds adjusted to what works best. We had to do that with the Lasix.

            Definitely enjoy the time you have with him. Freaking out is difficult to avoid, but it’s helpful if you can. As time goes by I find myself being able to be more relaxed. As others have said, the prognosis is a guess, based on averages, and cats often defy all predictions.

            And you’ll know when it’s time to let him go. He will tell you and you will know when his quality of life has diminished so that he is no longer enjoying what he normally did and seems to be uncomfortable. Those are the guidelines I have used in the past. It’s never easy.

            Best to you and Chicken.

            Mary Sue

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 1 6:33 PM
              Hi everyone, thank you so much for the insight and support; my husband and I feel so much less scared now. Sorry it took me so long to respond, I wanted to make sure I had all the right info... Chicken's imaging was all read by a cardiologist at the hospital; he categorized Chicken's condition as "severe restrictive cardiomyopathy" with pulmonary edema. Chicken's meds are: - furosemide 12.5 mg. half a pill in the AM and a full pill in the PM - vetmedin 1.25 one pill in the AM and one in the PM - clopidogrel 75mg, 1/4 pill a dayHe seems much better today, helping fold laundry :)