Trying Budesonide Again

  • Mirsades
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2014
      My vet is out of town, at UC Davis, for a conference? Before she left, she said to try the budesonide she had which is in pill form and not sustained release. I will be giving him 1/2 tab (.5mg) every day to see how he does. My stomach is in knots. I hope it doesn’t give him diarrhea like the other one did that I stopped. I almost hate to give it since he didn’t regurg/vomit this morning and was in a very playful mood.

      I just gave it to him (11:10) this morning. Does anyone know what the long term effects of this drug is? I’m nervous because he has HCM and I know that steroids are not good for heart kitties. This one is supposed to be easier on kitties but I have read that is is about 15 times stronger than prednisolone/prednisone!!! Also read that steroids can cause kidney problems and diabetes. I certainly don’t want to add those problems to him. Would almost rather let him live out what ever time he has left if that is going to happen.

      Hoping to hear from those of you that have used this drug on your babies and what the outcome has been so far. He is taking it because he was diagnosed, by biopsy, with IBD. Are there any side effects I should watch for, besides the diarrhea happening?

      Mirsades & Romeeoh <=^..^=>

      "The righteous one is caring for the soul of his domestic animal" Proverbs 12:10

      RIP - Mungkee (2010) Kitty (2001) Groucho (1999) Mei Ling (1991) Chandar (1989) Lemo (1988) Destiny (1987)

    • Elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 14, 2014
        Hi Mirsades

        I have never used this drug with my cats. However, Tess had HCM and IBD at the same time and she took prednisolone for over a year, before switching to tramadol when her arthritis became bad. She also had CKD. I wouldn't choose to use a steroid in a heart cat, but it's a matter of balancing risk. IBD can be painful and unpleasant so does need treating too. I`m sorry you have this choice to make, perhaps it would help to have kidneys tested every few months?

        Lyn
      • Jordan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 15, 2014
          Lynn,

          How did Tess do on the prednisolone?  What was her dosage?  Did it ever push her over into CHF??

          Thanks,
          Jordan and Sheba