Romeeoh now has bad diarrhea

  • Mirsades
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2014
      I am beside myself and lost. Romeeoh has had diarrhea now since Jan. 1st. This is day 3!!! He is 3 years old now and has never had diarrhea since I’ve had him. December 31st I started him on new dry food, Nature’s Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Grain Free Turkey dry food, free feeding. January 1st I started him on 1mg budesonide, once a day at 11:04a. I think he may have started the soft stools that evening, I didn’t make any notes on it. He has only vomited once on December 31st and not since so that is a good thing but never expected this diarrhea issue. My house smells like an outhouse, even tho I try to clean the litterbox after he uses it and I have to wipe his behind which he hates and now hisses and growls at me. Breaks my heart that he runs from me now too.

      January 2nd I gave him his 2nd dose of budesonide at 11:03a. He continued to have soft/looser stools (like pudding) and made 2 trips to the litterbox. He is eating the dry turkey and hasn’t lost his appetite, maybe not eating as much each time tho. He still gets his heart med 6.25mg of atenolol twice a day and 1/4 pepcid at bedtime near midnight. The diarrhea is continuing, this is how today January 3rd went:

      12:04a    Eating dry food turkey
      Having diarrhea during the night
      ?            Ate dry food turkey
      6:54a    Eating dry food turkey
      8:00a    Litterbox
      8:09a    Eating dry food turkey
      9:03a    Litterbox
      9:31a    Eating dry food turkey
      10:19a    6.25mg atenolol
      10:22a    Litterbox
      Decided to stop the budesonide since this seemed to start after giving it to him. Did also start a new food the day before but I have switched food on him before and never had this reaction so thought is was the budesonide.
      11:37a    Eating dry food turkey
      ?              Litterbox
      Email vet that diarrhea was like water, should have said like pudding.
      12:03p    Email reply from vet to get human Imodium AD and give 1/4 tablet ONCE (her capitals). “We need to run a test on his stool for several bacteria and tritrichomonas since even a light cortisone made him worse (highly unusual!!). It’s called the Feline GI PCR panel.”
      1:39p    Eating dry food turkey
      2:00p    Left for 45 minutes drive to take stool sample to vet clinic.
      Had trouble finding brand name Imodium after several stores so bought generic walmart brand. Also picked up some different dry food (Natural Balance Green Pea & Chicken) and some Fancy Feast Appetizers in case he stops eating and I have to try something different. Will try to hold off till the stool results come in but they said it could take a week!!!
      6:05p    Litterbox
      6:30p    Eating dry food turkey
      6:50p?  Litterboxx
      6:59p    Eating dry food turkey
      7:58p    1/4 tab Imodium AD
      7:58p    Litterbox
      8:19p    Litterbox
      8:25p?  Eating dry food turkey
      He is sleeping now.

      I don’t know if it’s the budesonide that started it, the pepcid (brand name) or the new food. My heart is aching for him. Had a rough time traveling to the stores, started having a panic attack and was worse in the store, had trouble breathing, just wanted to get home, was getting very irritable and I’m sure people were looking at me.

      Has anyone had a diarrhea problem like this? I really don’t know what to do and can’t believe the tests are gonna take a week. It is making me physically sick.

      Mirsades & Romeeoh <=^..^=>

      "The righteous one is caring for the soul of his domestic animal" Proverbs 12:10

      RIP - Mungkee (2010) Kitty (2001) Groucho (1999) Mei Ling (1991) Chandar (1989) Lemo (1988) Destiny (1987)

    • Leigh Arrathoon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2014
        Hi,
            I've had several problems with diarrhea. Usually the cat is allergic to something. One of mine is allergic to chicken; one is allergic to duck and fish! One cat came from a shelter and probably had diarrhea her whole life. It has taken me several months to get her straightened out. I use Standard Process Laboratory's Feline Enteric Concentrate, which straightens out the intestines, and then I add FLoraSmart, which is a wonderful probiotic for cats because there's no milk in it. It puts back billions of good bacteria into the intestines, and, eventually everything becomes normal. You have to be patient and calm. You have to take the cat into an enclosed space  - like the bathtub, and feed him the mixture (either crumble the pills with a pill crusher and combine with pumpkin, or syringe the crumbled pills, liquefied in water. I have five cats, who get vitamins every day, and they love me, so, if you're confident, loving, and calm, the cat will do fine. If he hisses, kiss him. I usually brush the nervous ones, or pet them, in the bathroom for 20 minutes before I try to give them pills. It also helps to say a soothing prayer while you brush them. The go to sleep and forget they're going to get vitamins.
             Good luck.
             Leigh

        On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 12:24 AM, Mirsades <mirsades@...> wrote:

[...]

      • ESID
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2014
          Re: [FH] Romeeoh now has bad diarrhea Mirsades, try, Twinlaps Applepectin. About 1/8th of the capsule mixed into some food 4x a day.
          http://tinyurl.com/n4zveqw

          Also white regular rice boiled water is very effective to stop diarrhea: boil /simmer the rice, (not quick rice) slowly for about 1/2 hour and squeeze the thickened water out of it and give this liquid with an eyedropper or a feeding syringe 45° across the tongue to avoid aspiration.

          Yes, most of us have had to deal with an acute diarrhea problem at one time or another. Usually vets reach for the heavy anti- anaerobic Metronidazole right away. But it is a super antibiotic and if you can at least stop the diarrhea  until you have a better idea what it is from that would be most helpful.
          Apple pectin and or rice water do not address the underlying cause but are harmless diarrhea stoppers.  Apple pectin in this pure form as in the Twinlab capsules has been found to help greatly in science studies which you can have a look at below. I have found it helpful and also the rice water, which is often recommended on the CRF list.
          Applepectin is sold in vitamin shops, try to get the Twinlab, you want it with the least amount of additives.  Apple pectin is also the base it Petpectillin , the cat and dog over the counter diarrhea medication. I would prefer this over Immodium A/D with its sodium benzoate not indicated for cats.
          Every 7.5 mL contains Loperamide HCl 1 mg
          And other many ingredients:
          <<Anhydrous citric acid, caramel color, D&C yellow no.10, FD&C blue no.1, flavor, glycerin, microcrystalline cellulose and carboxymethylcellulose sodium, propylene glycol, purified water, simethicone emulsion, sodium benzoate, sucralose, titanium dioxide, xanthan gum.
          Not sure why those ingredients are in a diarrhea madication.>>
          Glycerin is a gut irritant and used to effect pooping just as Miralax ( propylene glycol) is

          http://www.herbsfirst.com/descriptionSingle/ApplePectin.html

          Here are two older abstract on Pub Med originally sent to me for my Chloe’s diarrhea woes by a friend who has a wonderful website about feline gutworks esp. constipation but this in principal also covers diarrhea.
          Www.felineconstipation.org

          > Zh Mikrobiol Epidemiol Immunobiol. 1994 Aug-Sep;Suppl 1:106-9.
          > [Experimental and clinical studies of the effect of pectin on the causative
          > agents of acute intestinal infections].
          >
          > [Article in Russian]
          > Potievskiĭ EG, Shavakhabov ShSh, Bondarenko VM, Ashubaeva ZD.
          > Abstract
          >
          > The effect of alimentary pectin obtained from different raw materials (apple,
          > tomato, cotton-wool) on the causative agents of infectious diarrheal diseases,
          > belonging to the genera Shigella, Salmonella, Klebsiella, Enterobacter,
          > Proteus and Citrobacter, was studied under experimental conditions and in
          > clinical observations. The study revealed that pectin, irrespective of raw
          > material used for its production, produced an inhibiting effect on these
          > microorganisms. This effect was most pronounced, both under experimental and
          > clinical conditions, when 5% pectin solution was used. A rapid suppress of
          > diarrhea and other manifestations of the infectious syndrome was observed in
          > patients. The patients treated with pectin stayed in the hospital, on the
          > average, 2-3 days less than the control group of patients treated with
          > antibiotics and other chemotherapeutic preparations.
          > ---------------
          >

          > Arzneimittelforschung. 1997 Nov;47(11):1247-9.
          > [Double-blind comparison of an apple pectin-chamomile extract preparation with
          > placebo in children with diarrhea].
          >
          > [Article in German]
          > de la Motte S, Böse-O'Reilly S, Heinisch M, Harrison F.
          > Source
          >
          > Harrison Clinical Research, München.
          >
          > Abstract
          >
          > In a prospective, double-blind, randomised, multicentre, parallel group study,
          > children (6 months to 5.5 years of age) with acute, non-complicated diarrhea
          > received either a preparation containing apple pectin and chamomile extract
          > (Diarrhoesan, n = 39) or placebo (n = 40) in addition to the usual rehydration
          > and realimentation diet. At the end of three days of treatment, the diarrhea
          > had ended significantly (p < 0.05) more frequently in the pectin/chamomile
          > (33/39) than in the placebo group (23/40). Pectin/chamomile reduced the
          > duration of diarrhea significantly (p < 0.05) by at least 5.2 h. The parents
          > documented the well-being in a diary twice daily; in contrast to placebo, a
          > trend of continuous improvement was observed in the pectin/chamomile group.
          > The parents expressed their contentment more frequently (82%) with
          > pectin/chamomile than with placebo (60%, not significant). There were no
          > further differences between the treatment groups.
          >
          > PMID:
          > 9463302
          > [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

          Hope this all helps to give you both some relief , I can sympathize with you how very upsetting each of Romeeoh’s trips to her litterbox is.  He needs fluids and I am wondering what is being done to counter dehydration from the diarrhea.  Oral fluids have a slower absorption and are therefore easier on the heart.

          All the best,

          Erika

[...]

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2014

            I would stop all the different foods and just give him baby food meat till the diarrhea goes away.  Too many different things introduced (ingredients he's not used to) a the same time along with the Budesonide, so you can't know what is causing the diarrhea.

            I would ask the vet for some Flagyl (metronidazole) to help stop the diarrhea.  The baby food I give and recommend is Beechnut Stage 1 meats. They're just meat and broth.  Gerber has corn starch in some of theirs, so I don't particularly like that one, but if you can't find Beechnut, Gerber will have to do.

            Carol
          • hemizonia
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2014
              Hi Mirsades & Romeeoh-

              Nailing down the cause of diarrhea can often be problematic.  It sounds like this is a sudden onset situation?  In other words, Romeeoh has not had a history of periodic bouts of diarrhea?  I would definitely suspect the change in food rather than the budesonide (as a direct side effect).  Generally, when you switch foods, the new one should be gradually mixed into the "old" food over a period of time.  Is there a reason why you switched food?

              I've had a chronic GI situation among all my cats and dogs where they go through occasional diarrhea/pudding type stool (soft-formed) with some inappetance and vomiting.  My vet does a fecal smear exam, and always finds lots of Clostridium sp., and sometimes spirochetes.  Both are often normal intestinal flora, but if there's a disturbance/upset of some kind, these organisms are opportunistic and will proliferate.  I have metronidazole on hand and dose with it for 5 - 7 days.  Diarrhea will usually subside within 24-48 hours.  I've even had one of my geese become ill, took her to the vet, he did a fecal smear, and there was the same proliferation of organisms.  If I recall correctly, she was treated with metronidazole as well.

              To try and track down the organism responsible for the outbreaks, I've had fecal cultures, the PCR test, and some other expensive test done.  All were negative.  sigh.  So we just treat the symptoms.

              One thing that my vet has recommended is to routinely give probiotics.  I've been giving either Forti-Flora (from the vet) and/or ProBios which contains several species of Lactobacillus.  That seems to help.  You can get a good probiotic from Natren that is specific for dogs or cats.  Panacur (from the vet) is another probiotic.

              I keep a stock of metronidazaole at home.  A cheaper way to get it is from Calvetsupply.com.  You can get all kinds of antibiotics through them.  They are labeled for fish tank use, but are pharmaceutical grade.

              As for Romeeoh, the rice water Erika suggested might help.  Meat baby food might help as well (make sure there's no garlic or onions in the ingredients).  IMO, the best thing would be to return to the food Romeeoh was eating without problem.

              If the diarrhea continues after giving metronidazole and probiotics and switching back to his regular food, something else could be going on, and an abdominal ultrasound might be a good idea.  Pancreatitis or IBD are possibilities.

              Budesonide itself shouldn't cause diarrhea.  However, as a steroid, it could upset the intestinal flora balance.  Giving a probiotic would help this.

              I sympathize with you about the smell.  I had a cat, Phoebe, who had severe IBD all of her 17+ years.  During flare-ups, she had incredibly foul smelling diarrhea, bad enough to wake me from a sound sleep.  I kept a large and varied supply of strong incense and burned it liberally.

              BTW, unusually foul smelling stool often indicates an upset in the intestinal flora, possibly due to an anaerobic organism.  Then again, the smell can really get bad with IBD or pancreatitis.

              HTH
              mary

            • elfinmyst
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2014
                Hi

                With that level of diarrhoea, he is going to get dehydrated very quickly. THe medicine he had is supposed to stop diarrhoea. Like Carol I would ask for flagyl and get it started asap. I would stop all the different foods as well and either go for the pure chicken baby food or blended chicken or white fish. No red meat.

                If this doesn't stop today he may need fluids. Another choice is the lectade which is similar to the human dioralite and helps them with water balance and salts. It is from the vet, you make it up daily and syringe feed like water. I have used that successfully. For diarrhoea like this I too would suspect an infection and hope the results are soon. But with this level of illness, Romeeoh needs treating now.

              • Laurie Stead
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2014
                  Its very hard to know the cause when several variables changed at once but I would bet it's the food.  Anytime you change foods it is best to mix with the old food to slowly adjust them to the new food.  Of course that is not always possible (for instance if they are refusing to eat their normal food).

                  My kitty gets mad at me too when I fuss with her backside... but she still loves me... sometimes we have to make them a little uncomfortable to help them.  You are doing everything right.  Please know the diarrhea came on suddenly and once you work through the cause of it, it will leave too.  So don't worry that it is more sinister than it is... a reaction to a change in food.  Sometimes it takes a lot of food changes to find the right one.  Hang in there and if you can just try to change one variable (add a med, change a food, etc) at a time so you can monitor it and know what caused any possible change.

                  My cat was finally eating well when  I gave her wet fish food and the diarrhea came on quick... I stopped giving it and the diarrhea disappeared. She will no longer get that food (of course it was the one she liked).

                  Hope things turn around for you both soon.  Know that Romeeoh loves his momma very much and all you do to help him feel better :)

                  Laurie

                  On Saturday, January 4, 2014 8:08 AM, "elfinmyst@..." <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

                  Hi

                  With that level of diarrhoea, he is going to get dehydrated very quickly. THe medicine he had is supposed to stop diarrhoea. Like Carol I would ask for flagyl and get it started asap. I would stop all the different foods as well and either go for the pure chicken baby food or blended chicken or white fish. No red meat.

                  If this doesn't stop today he may need fluids. Another choice is the lectade which is similar to the human dioralite and helps them with water balance and salts. It is from the vet, you make it up daily and syringe feed like water. I have used that successfully. For diarrhoea like this I too would suspect an infection and hope the results are soon. But with this level of illness, Romeeoh needs treating now.

                • marianna.mayer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2014
                    With regard to how to handle pilling, excellent advice, Leigh! Bravo. And, the silent prayer whilst brushing, to calm you both made me laugh.
                    Marianna

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2014
                      I restrict fish foods with my group .... it's a sure way to bring on diarrhea here among the siamese.   I have a barn/shop cat though who loves fish foods and does great with them.  I've had siamese for about 40 years, and not a one of them was able to handle fish.

                      mary

                    • marianna.mayer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2014
                        I think Fish is always a tricky choice for cats. Especially when so much is farm raised now under questionable conditions, and our waters less than pristine. I don't feed it as a rule. I do purchase canned wild salmon [human grade], and everyone gets [& does well on] wild salmon oil daily.

                        Marianna