Milli is at the Rainbow Bridge

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2014
      Milli had gone. I am devastated. I want to write her story.

      For those who don't know Milli, she was special. She was a blue and white Selkirk Rex born with serious heart disease. She had two holes in her heart, misformed valves and damage to her aorta. We took her gladly with a prognosis of two years at the very most.

      The children were very young then and weh had a special song for Milli. We called her Millibars and Millington too sometimes:)

      Milli Applesauce, Milli in the morning,
      Milli Applesauce, Milli all day long,
      Milli Applesauce, Milli's day is dawning,
      Milli Applesauce, Growing big and strong.

      Her scans were shown all over Europe to help to teach cardiologists. My Cardiiologist, Jo, loved her and always said she wanted to steal her. She was loud! So loud and we used to go to the stairs and shout MILLEEEE  and she would come down, yowling all the way for wahtever treat we had. She was greedy, she loved her dinners and her catnip and the sunshine. Most of all she was my bed cat. She would snuggle around my neck and curl up lovely and warm, treading and purring until we both fell asleep.

      When she was four she developed a sarcoma on her neck. We had it removed and she struggled to survive but something like that was not going to stop Milli. She came home and recovered. Later she went into heart failure several times and we kept adding new medications. Nothing stopped her loving life, she would shout at dogs in the vets and was very happy for three more years.

      Lately she had ear trouble. Her ears were always itchy and bothering her, no matter how many medications we tried, it never worked beyond a few weeks. We were planning to have a CT scan after Christmas, but Milli's condition worsened.

      She went into  acute kidney failure. We tried several days at my vets and  then moved her to the ICU at Liverpool where they put her on fluids and she started to recover. But it was too much for her little body. She had lost weight recently, she was beginning to struggle. Milli wanted to live but her body didn't match her spirit. Sadly she was away from home.

      I had the chance to visit her, but it was for ten minutes and she would be taken off fluids and then back. I felt this was unfair to her. Now I regret it, I never saw her alive since. We got the call this morning she was not passing urine and her kidneys had shut down. I should have gone then, but she responded so well last time, I agreed treatment. Now I feel terrible. At two o'clock, the call came she had crashed and could we come. We hadn't got a mile when the next call she was in distress.

      How many times have I advised people about the last act of kindness, so why was it so hard for me. I knew I had to think of Milli and gave consent. The vet nurse held and cuddled her and it was peaceful. We are going to donate her little body to the animal hospital to help research for heart disease. I am devastated I never got to see her and wish I had let her go last week. But then I would be tortured with the decision, wondering could she have recovered.

      One of you told me heart kitties were here for a good time, not a long time. Milli certainly had a good time, I wish the end had been with us but she is here in my heart and won't be forgotten.

      Rest at the bridge, Milli Applesauce. You brought me so much light and love, there is a new angel in heaven tonight. I am forever grateful to the wonderful vets we met through Milli and their care. I will share the cat treat 'cat allsorts' with the others and remember we still have eight poorly kitties. Milli was special though.

      Sleep well, Millibars.. I love you .

      Lyn

    • RenaRF
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2014
        Hi Lyn.  I am so sorry to hear this news, and I smiled as I read the story of Milli.  It made me feel like I knew her.

        One thing I want to say here.  Cats, like people, don’t come with instruction manuals.  There was no definitive guide to how to treat Milli, what to do throughout her life and throughout these past two weeks.  It was never a situation where you could say “If I do A, B will happen.”  You had to grab your heart, muster your courage and make the best decisions you could.

        You mention below that if you had helped her go last week you would torture yourself.  Please try to remember that self-flagellation just goes with the territory and try to give yourself a break.  You did the best you could with the information you had, and you did it all trying to do the right thing, out of love, for Milli.  Don’t beat yourself up.  Or try not to.

        My deepest sympathies to you and your family.  Run free at the Bridge sweet Milli.

        Rena

        On Jan 1, 2014, at 11:33 AM, elfinmyst@... wrote:

[...]

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2014
          Oh Lyn my heart breaks for you... gosh Milli was so loved... it was so apparent in every message you sent... know that you did right by Milli time and time again.  The tears fall as I read through your note as I know that deep love and I know the loss of it... I also know I will be facing the same with Boo one day and will be agonizing with that same decision... we all will... thank you for showing us courage throughout and for always be there for us.

          Milli is at rest, at peace... no illness, no discomfort... and in time the sweet memories, some of which you mention, will bring greater comfort.  We are here for you.

          <<hugs>> and prayers,

          Laurie

        • karenborga@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2014
            Dear Lyn,

            I am so sorry for your loss of Milli.
            Your tribute story is awesome.

            Milli was very fortunate to be a part of your loving family.

            Karen, Asst. Host (Sun)
            Moderated on-line chat pet loss/anticipatory support
            Visit http://www.aplb.org for chat room schedule.

            ****

            .....Rest at the bridge, Milli Applesauce. You brought me so much light and love, there is a new angel in heaven tonight. I am forever grateful to the wonderful vets we met through Milli and their care. I will share the cat treat 'cat allsorts' with the others and remember we still have eight poorly kitties. Milli was special though.

            Sleep well, Millibars.. I love you .
            Lyn

            Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
          • June Jeffrey
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2014
              Dear Lyn,

              I'm so very very sorry for your loss of Milli.  She was a beautiful and brave little girl, so very much loved and against so many odds you gave her such a happy life.

              You mentioned that Milli wanted to live and you were brave enough to do everything you could to give her that chance.  That takes great courage and love.

              However it happens their leaving is never easy for us; the price we pay for sharing our lives and love for however long we are blessed to care for them.  My Felix died of a heart attack whilst at the vet having IV fluids for his CRF.  We didn't know he had a heart condition so it was unexpected and I wasn't with him.  I too was devastated.  But everything I did for him was to try and help him have as long and happy a life as possible and was done out of love for him.  When my Daisy became so ill in December last year one of the vets she saw wanted me to let her go then.  I knew she was not ready and fought for her to have treatment.  With the support of my regular vet and cardiologist she had seven more months of good quality life and I have never regretted taking that chance and was told by her vets I had taken wonderful care of her.  I was lucky and as Milli had responded so well before of course you had hope she would again.

              Thank you for sharing her story with us Lyn.  Your love for each other shines though your words and yes, she will always be in your heart.

              I will be saying a prayer that my Angels will be there at the Bridge to greet your Milli Applesauce.  And a prayer for you and your family together with my deepest sympathy for your loss.

              God bless

              June and Freddie and Angels Daisy, Felix, Fleur and Smudge

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2014
                I am so sorry to hear about Milli. I can tell that she had a wonderful life with you though. Your posts have been a great source of information and comfort for me over the past few months, so I feel like I can honestly say that any heart kitty is lucky to end up with you as her caregiver. I hope you find some comfort in the coming days and know that Milli knew how much she was loved by you. She's playing happy and healthy at the Rainbow Bridge now. *hugs*

> [...]
                > The vet nurse held and cuddled her and it was peaceful. We are going to
                > donate her little body to the animal hospital to help research for heart
                > disease. I am devastated I never got to see her and wish I had let her go last
                > week. But then I would be tortured with the decision, wondering could she have
                > recovered.
                >
                > One of you told me heart kitties were here for a good time, not a long
                > time. Milli certainly had a good time, I wish the end had been with us but she
                > is here in my heart and won't be forgotten.
                >
                > Rest at the bridge, Milli Applesauce. You brought me so much light and
                > love, there is a new angel in heaven tonight. I am forever grateful to the
                > wonderful vets we met through Milli and their care. I will share the cat treat
                > 'cat allsorts' with the others and remember we still have eight poorly

              • Dana McCormick
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2014
                  Lyn,

                  I'm so sorry about Milli, I feel your pain. She sure knows how much she was loved and she is happy and healthy again.

                  Dana & Fuzz

                • Marycay Doolittle
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2014

                    Lyn,

                    Thank you for your story about Milli.  We love our fur babies so much that no matter what happens or how they go to the Bridge we might second guess ourselves, when no matter what we might do would not change the outcome.  You loving took care of Milli & she knew that.  We have our pets until it’s their time to be released from this earth & go the Bridge to be with those who went before them.  Milli might be romping with my Jetsam who went to the Bridge in Nov 2013 due to HCM & that would be lovely.

                    Sending gentle hugs,

                    Marycay

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2014
                      Lyn,

                      I'm so sorry to hear about Milli.  You both deserve a good rest after all you've been through.  Hers will be longer than yours just yet, but you will meet again when the time is right for cuddles and warm sleepful nights together.  As has been said numerous times here, this is no dress rehearsal, and we all will likely face difficult decisions to know when the end is.

                      Peace and hugs.

                      -Lee and May

                    • Jordan Salim
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 1, 2014
                        Lyn,

                        My heart breaks for you. Your story of Milli is a beautiful one. And I truly believe you did everything exactly right!!

                        Extra hugs to you and your sweet girl.

                        Love
                        Jordan and Sheba

                        Sent from my iPad