Milli is in the ICU

  • Elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2013
      Milli's creatinine and urea got worse today and we had her admitted to the university intensive care unit.

      Just got the update.

      Milli has CRF and ARF. Her kidneys were small and indicated chronic renal failure and she had some small ulcers in her mouth. Creat was 569 and urea 46+  Phosphorus was also high.
      She has gastritis as well, her stomach isn't moving food along and she has been given something for this.
      They have stopped atenolol and fortekor , absolutely no metacam and no diuretics unless needed.
      Milli's heart was terrible. She has two holes and malformed valves and now severe dilated chambers. So she's on a knife edge. I read Tanya's pages and she has some of the end stage symptoms
      and I`m not sure what to do. Her urine ratio was 0.2 whatever that means.
      And yet Milli is purring, pawing her bed and quite alert and now eating (although her stomach isn't churning)
      It's very confusing. Her results aren't majorly high and she is bright and alert. They have increased overnight, but I was told that's not too unexpected. I`m new to all this and it's very frightening.

      Lyn
    • hemizonia
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 2013
        Hi Lyn-

        I can imagine how scary this is for you; I've walked in your shoes before.

        I've been a member of the feline CRF group since 2000.  Am not active now as in the past, but have read the stories of so many.  I've read about many cats in ARF (the CRF "crash") that have presented with creatinine levels far higher than Milli's (for US folks, the international number 569 translates to the US 6.4).  And sometimes when treatment is started for a crash, there is a transient increase in creatinine.  It may take a day or two before this starts coming down.

        ARF is acute renal failure ... it's a sudden onset situation.  End stage CRF (ESRF) is after a long term decline.  You have to understand the difference between the two.  With ESRF, there's not much that can be done other than a transplant or dialysis.  With ARF, there's some reason of recent origin to explain the decline in kidney function.  Milli having been on lots of lasix to treat her CHF could have easily brought on ARF, in a manner that I explained to you before.  You might ask to have her urine checked for infection as well.  Passing large amounts of urine can predispose to a UTI (which can contribute or even cause ARF).

        I used to work in a human hospital.  There was once a patient who had gotten the flu so badly, he couldn't keep down even a sip of water for days.  When he was admitted, he was in complete kidney shut-down.  I asked the internal med doc about the etiology ... what caused this?  This is when I learned about the kidney's innate ability to "shut down" to preserve circulation to the internal organs during dehydration.  Other than the flu, this man was in perfect health (he was in his 30's).  He was in complete shut-down .... producing not even a trickle of urine.  He was on dialysis for several weeks, and then slowly, his kidneys started working again.  A month later, he was again in perfect health with no lasting kidney damage.

        That Milli is eating, purring, and "making biscuits" is a good sign.  If she were in ESRF, she would not eat, nor would she purr.  She would be sitting in meatloaf position with her head down.  They become extremely ill.

        ARF is potentially reversible, whereas ESRF is not.  It just takes time.

        It's good that she's in an ICU.  That way, she will be constantly monitored, and with the slightest shift towards the negative, they will be on top of it.  It's not like being in the ward where someone comes around to check every hour or two.  Milli has "eyes on" constantly.

        Suggestion though ... see about getting Milli on a phosphorus binder like aluminum hydroxide.  Shouldn't have any negative reactions or interactions with her current drug protocol.  May even help with her gastritis (are they giving something like famotidine or ranitidine for that?).  The need for a binder depends upon 2 things ... phosphorus and calcium levels.  Find out those numbers and multiply them together.  For example, if the phosphorus is 5 and the calcium is 10, multiplying them would give you 50.  If the product of the multiplication > 70, calcium phosphate crystals will form in the blood and deposit in the soft tissues/muscles causing pain, weakness, and ultimately dysfunction.

        Every now and then, sit down, try to relax, feet flat on the floor, arms at rest.  Close your eyes.  Picture your Milli.  Take a deep breath, slowly exhale, feeling the tensions and anxieties flow out of you with that breath.   Do it again.  And again.  Now surround Milli with white so bright that you can no longer even see her in your mind.  If in your mind picture, you see any darkness anywhere, send a burst of light like an nuclear explosion to keep it away.  Imagine that there's a force field of light protection around her so sturdy, nothing can get through.  Sounds silly, but I swear, it seems to work.

        I have been watching for an update on Milli, and am keeping her (and you) in my thoughts and prayers.  Am flinging wave after wave of healing energy and nuclear bright light across the world to the both of you.

        hugs
        mary & Leo

      • missmeow63
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 21, 2013

          Really sorry to hear Milli is still so poorly Lyn, it's such a worry for you all, stay positive xx

          Mandy