New to this group. My Tiger was diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy.

  • COSMO_babe_99
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2013
      He everyone. I am so glad to find a place where I can freely talk and exchange ideas with other pet owners going thru what I am going thru with my Tiger.

      My Tiger is a 5 year old Flamepoint Siamese. In July he had emergency stomach surgery. While in recuperation he began to have trouble breathing and xrays showed an enlarged left ventricle of his heart. Doctors thought that it was due to the surgery and that it would resolve itself. In August we went for follow up and they did not find a murmur and Tiger was doing remarkably well. At the beginning of October he develop FHS or Feline Hyperthenesia Syndrome. Took meds for that. Then November 24th I noticed he was coughing (thought it was a hairball) and breathing fast. Took him to the vet and x rays showed a rather enlarged heart at least 50%. He has dialated cardiomyopathy and they believe its genetic and not due to taurine deficiency. The vet gave him 9 months to live. I am heartbroken, devastated is an understatement. He continues to play, purr, make biscuits and is eating well. He is on Enalapril and Lasix (one whole pill) once a day then they just added Vetmedin (one whole pill every 12 hours).

      Tiger took his first round of vetmedin with no problem yesterday but this morning he threw up all of his pills after about 10 minutes... I didn't give him any other dosage because I do not want to overdose him and make matters worse. I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on how to get him to take his pills and prevent him from vomiting. He did not vomit before when he was only taking the lasix and enalapril so I am suspecting that the vetmedin makes his tummy upset. Does anyone have a kitty with Dialated cardiomyopathy and if so how are you treating it? Is Vetmedin a helpful medication? I heard is only for dogs? I thought a full pill of Vetmedin was rather large for Tiger to take... I want Tiger to be comfortable but I do not want to stress him more by forcing him to take the pill. Any thoughts?
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2013
        Hi - I am sorry to hear of Tiger's dx but glad you found the group.  I can speak to DCM as my Boo was diagnosed with it 2yrs ago. Boo was given "months at best" and here it is 2yrs later so don't lose hope.

        Yes Vetmedin is important.  There is known improvement for dogs with DCM. Studies on cats just have not been done but lots of kitties in this group take it and they don't even have DCM.  Its been called a wonder drug by many.

        I would ask about the dose... my Boo gets 1/2 1.25mg tab 2x a day. As you know it's a huge pill so I actually 1/4 it.  I put 1/4 tab in a 1/2 pill pocket and then put a crunchy treat on the outside. I do that twice to get the 1/2 dose in her.  Lots of people also use gel caps.  Its a matter of finding what works best for you... feeding off of what Tiger likes in terms of treats etc.

        Not to be gross - but did the vomit include food as well as the pills just given?  Its usually best to not allow food until you know they pills are digested. I usually wait an hour.  If Tiger vomited within 10mins of getting the pills they were not digested.  I usually check the vomit to be sure but always redo the meds if it is that soon afterward. You should call the cardiologist to double-check but the meds are very important.

        Boo is now taking: lasix / benazepril / plavix and vetmedin for her DCM and pepcid for her newly diagnosed Pancreatitis.

        Hope this helps a little.

        Laurie and Boo

        On Friday, December 13, 2013 9:50 AM, "emilyvhouston@..." <emilyvhouston@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2013

          Hi there

          I`m sorry to hear of Tiger. Vetmedin has been a wonder drug for my cats, one with HCM and one with congenital heart disease. It has never made them sick and they enjoy it. You can also get it as Cardisure if the Vetmedin doesn't suit, that's the same drug and mine scoff it greedily.

          Don't worry about prognosis. Trixi was diagnosed with advanced HCM as a 12 week kitten and given a few months to live. Next August she turns eight years! This is despite a heart attack. She is one who takes Vetmedin.

          You can do things to help. When Tiger is sleeping tonight, count his breaths per 10 seconds and times by 6 to get the breaths per minute. If you have a mobile video it and see what looks normal for him. It should be a nice steady breathing. Then you will be able to tell if he goes into heart failure as the rate (whilst sleepy/resting) wil increase or the breathing change to double intakes, open mouth, wheezes, deep stomach pulling in. Over 30 a minute is caution and over 40 usually emergency.