What if you have to miss a dose?

  • danishclev
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2013
      My cat Mikko gets Vetmedin and Lasix three times per day (plus several others that are only 1x per day) to control his heart disease. My boyfriend gives him his midday pills at lunch, but this week has to work at another location too far for a midday stop at home. I'm not sure what to do about Mikko's meds and the cardiologist hasn't called me back yet. Has anyone been in a similar situation and gotten vet advice?

      When we just gave lasix midday, one not-so-great option was to split the midday dose between the morning and evening pills. But I'm not sure if you can do that with Vetmedin?

      There's also a chance I can come home midday using vacation time, or we could rearrange his pill times a bit to give them right before I leave for work, 10-10.5 hours later and then 6 hours after that. Either of these is going to be a pain on schedules, but I don't want Mikko going into CHF - been there, done that several times already.
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2013
        It is always best to talk about any changes in meds with Mikko's cardiologist especially since he has experienced CHF already.  The lasix is the med I would be most conerned with.  My cat gets it 2x a day but I am not sure of the dose you are giving or the reason behind the 3x/day so I think best to speak with the cardio.

        Laurie and Boo

        On Sunday, December 8, 2013 9:11 PM, "danishclev@..." <danishclev@...> wrote:

[...]

      • ESID
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2013
          My cardiologists are both gung-ho about vetmedin, but prescribed it only for every 12 hrs. For my kitty with severe DCM where Vetmedin seems to be the most indicated.
          Lasix is known to have only a 6-8 hr half life in dogs but a 12 hr half life in cats informed me one of my younger cardiologists. She prescribed it 3 x day when my Sammy had still some fluids in his lungs and his breathing rate had not come down from 40. Once his resting breathing rate improved, we went back to twice a day for lasix.  I know of several folks who gave lasix twice a day but increased one of the doses nighttime by 25% to accommodate a need for more medication for their cats with changing breathing rates.

          The combination of meeting an 8 hr schedule for one of the drugs, a 24 hr schedule for two and a 12 hr schedule for Lasix made me being on time, esp. when Sammy would hide and disappear for hours a searching and stressful hell. We are back on a 12 / 24 hr schedule and I see no good reason why Vetmedin needs to be given 3 x a day.
          I would ask to address the effectiveness for Lasix for cats BID as more workable with an upped dose if necessary. I hope this helps,

          Erika with Sammy, hiding artist

          Sent from my iPad with mysterious typos

          On Dec 8, 2013, at 9:10 PM, <danishclev@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Jenny
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2013
            Hi,
            Erika has an excellent point about twice daily dosing. But if that won't work for your kitty and it is only for a week , consider hiring a petsitter. Most of them have no problem giving pills and would also clean the box and play a bit with your kitty if you would like. I once left my kitty with my parents while traveling for a few days. They couldn't pill her because she wasn't very cooperative. So I hired a petsitter to come twice a day and help my parents pill her. I "interviewed" her first by having her come over at pill time and handing her meds and piller while I gently held the kitty.
            Anyway, I hope this helps. If you lived in Denver, I would help....
            Jenny

            Sent from my iPhone
          • Missy Zane

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 12, 2013

                  Thanks for the suggestions about missed doses. I had almost no notice about this, so there was no time to try and line someone else to give Mikko his midday pills. In the end I decided it wasn't worth risking a set back, so I just took an extra long lunch. Luckily, my boss is understanding (it helps that I work over all the time).

                  I also talked to Mikko's cardiologist and given his high doses, if we have to miss a dose then he has to miss it entirely, no doubling later. The 3xs per day routine is what has finally kept him out of CHF, so we're not messing with that.

                  Erika - What you say about Lasix and Vetmedin is very different from what my cardiologists say.  They explained that Lasix doesn't last the full 12 hours in cats, it's max 8-10. BID didn't work for Mikko and just lasix 3x/day wasn't cutting it any longer either. They added spironolactone which seems to have done the trick for now. For those wondering, Mikko has pretty severe unclassified CM, plus a murmur, plus some other stuff I'm probably forgetting. The cardiologists say his heart disease is an 11 on a scale of 1-10. We didn't think he'd make it more than a few weeks when he was diagnosed in June, so I'm ecstatic he's still with us, happy and active.

                  Thanks again and Happy holidays!