Re: [FH] Re: Introducing Leo .... Lyn

  • hemizonia
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2013

      Hi Lyn--

      Thank you for the info!  Leo was eating fine until his first dose of meds Tuesday.  Within 24 hrs, he was drooling and not eating.  I've given atenolol and lasix to cats before, and never did these cause such distress.  All the supplements I'm giving him were started after he became nauseated, so they aren't the cause.  The only other new med was the aspirin Tuesday evening.  Tonight, he's supposed to get another dose (4 days since his first dose).  But am reluctant now to give it.  Poor guy is in misery.  He's sitting meatloaf style, head drooping, with drool coming out of his mouth while on cerenia, famotidine and odansetron.  He almost wretches if I offer him food or a treat.  Perhaps being siamese, he's even more sensitive to aspirin than your Trixi.  Today, he was up walking around for a bit, and suddenly stopped with his back slightly hunched up and let out a horrible meow.  Didn't know what to make of it then, but now I'm thinking his stomach hurts.

      My poor Leo!  While I was standing at the kitchen counter, he came up to me, head down, drooling, almost like he was asking for help.  But I didn't know what to do other than to give him some hugs and pets.

      I've got a text in to my vet.  I've got sucralfate and some fairly fresh buprenex (2 weeks old).  Doc also gave me several doses of injectable cerenia.  Am hoping to hear back this evening.  Might need to take Leo to the 24/7 facility in town to get some direction on how to help him.

      Thanks!
      mary & Leo
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2013
        Hi Mary

        With those symptoms I would definitely go to the emergency vet today. It may be the aspirin but drooling like that can also be a tooth problem or infection. I`d hate to miss something else whilst considering only the heart. As he hasn't eaten well for a few days he is at risk of liver problems and may need to be on a drip for a while. I would take him, and explain what has happened and have a list of the drugs he has been given.