New - Rufus in the ER. :(

  • renarf_dc
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2013
      Hello everyone.  I think I was a member here some years back just for information purposes.  This time, however, I have an actual ongoing issue.

      My sweet 6 1/2 year old DSH tuxie, Rufus, is in the ER as I type this.  He's stable - so it's not *that* kind of emergency.

      General background on Rufus: he is 6.5 years old.  I adopted he and his brother, Feats, when they were both 7 months old back in December 2007.  Rufus hasn't had any serious health issues, but he is on 5mg of fluoxetine (kitty Prozac) daily to help with obsessive behaviors (woolsucking, pica - to include eating string/tape/ribbon/plastic/floss - you name it - we keep it away from him fully stored away and the Prozac helps with his obsessive behaviors, though it hasn't eliminated them).

      Today, however, at about noon my time (I am in the DC Metro area), Rufus came into the living room, looked at me, meowed as though he was uncomfortable or having pain, and then threw up some foamy liquid.  Now - Rufus is intermittently barfy, usually associated with some random non-dangerous thing he's eaten and then thrown up.  Previous episodes have almost always been what any cat person would consider "normal" throw up - with food and everything in it (sorry for the visual).  After getting whatever disagrees with him OUT of him, he goes back to being Rufus.  Happy, playful, energetic.

      Only today, that didn't happen.  He at first tried to hide behind the toilet in the powder room.  I brought him out, and he just went into meatloaf position in front of the TV.  He looked clearly uncomfortable, and it persisted.  So off to the ER we went.  He threw up foamy liquid again in the carrier on the way there, and this time there was a pink tinge to it.

      The doctor did Xrays and a general exam first.  She didn't see anything wrong with his stomach or intestines - no masses, no obstructions/blockages, not bunching of the intestines.  When listening to his heart, however, she characterized it as an "arrhythmia" - NOT a murmur, NOT a gallop - his heart would beat beat beat at a reasonably normal rate (even for the vet's office), and then it would skip a beat, catch up, and repeat the pattern.  She described it as "fairly pronounced".  She did some kind of measurement to evaluate the size of his heart in context with his overall size and build, and described it as "plump". On the objective scale, however, his heart was "high normal" in terms of size, and she characterized it as a "gray area" generally for evaluation.  She did not see any evidence of fluid in the lungs, and asked me many questions about the nature of his earlier vomiting - did I think it was "normal" abdominal vomiting, or was he coughing and then getting rid of liquid from the lungs.  I generally think it sounded like normal abdominal vomiting; but then again, at the time, I wasn't thinking about Rufus having heart issues.

      He remains at the ER.  He's going to have an ECG, urinalysis and full bloodwork (NOTE: because he's on the fluoxetine, he gets rechecked frequently for side effects and had an exam and full bloodwork in early summer of this year - all normal).  If everything looks ok, they're going to administer some lasix and probably a shot of Cerenia (she just said anti-nausea without specifying the actual drug).  They are busy in the ER, and it cold take 2-2 1/2 hours to get the results back.  When they're in, she is going to call me with her findings.

      The veterinary ER is part of a full specialty center that includes cardiology.  In the event of an emergency, they DO have a cardiologist on call; but Rufus is stable, so any follow-up appointment would likely not be until next week, which freaks me out.

      So help me out here. Anyone deal with this type of thing?  What kinds of questions should I be asking?  What should I be looking for?  Rufus was FINE yesterday - eating and behaving like his normal self.  It was only after his first round of vomiting and odd behavior that I noticed he hadn't eaten his breakfast (he had eaten fine up until that point).

      I have a ton of experience with feline kidney insufficiency, feline diabetes and feline cancer.  But this is a new one.

      Thanks in advance.  Heck of a way to spend Thankgsiving.  :(

      Rena (and Rufus, and also his brother Feats, and their friends Henry, Bella and Meatball)
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2013

        The white foam usually means a hairball is on its way.  Some cats make the most ungodly noises and get into the weirdest hunchback positions before they vomit a hairball or the preceeding foam.  With others, it just pops out.

        Vomiting is not a symptom of heart disease, but I think he needs a cardiac workup asap.  Often there is no warning of heart disease --

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2013
          Ok.  Just heard from the ER doc on the bloodwork results and EKG.

          Bloodwork looks good.  Only issue was slightly elevated glucose, which can be totally attributable to stress.

          EKG is a different story.  In a nutshell, the doctor said that the EKG indicated that some part of the heart that should NOT be adding a heartbeat IS adding a heartbeat, which is indicative of some underlying primary heart issue.  He is being put on lasix and monitored, and I've insisted that they bring the cardiologist in for appropriate tests tomorrow.  They had originally told me that if he remained stable overnight I could get him tomorrow.  But when i asked about my concern that he would drop dead of a heart attack, the ER vet told me that was a "valid concern".  That's why we're bringing the cardiologist on call in for tests tomorrow.  Zero chance I'm waiting until Monday and just hoping nothing happens over the weekend.  Zero.

          I'm pretty freaked out.  Any feedback on this?

          Rena