Rufus crossed the Rainbow Bridge

  • Rose Pike
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2013
      My heart is aching as I write this .. my beautiful 9-year-old HCM baby threw a clot about 5 a.m. Sunday morning.  We rushed him to the vet within minutes, but there was nothing they could do.  His lungs had filled with fluid and he was yowling in pain.  We had to let him go, even though I wished with all my heart he could stay many more years.  He was my shadow from the time we brought him home from the shelter on Dec 27, 2004.  I wonder if I missed some signs that he was not well in the days or weeks before this happened, but he was with me almost constantly, sleeping by my side at night.  I am barely able to sleep a couple of hours and I keep looking for him everywhere.  The pain is unbearable.
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2013
        Oh, this is heart-breaking, I am so sorry.  Unfortunately our kitties are
        very fragile and we never get to keep them as long as we want.  But he was
        so blessed to have you to take care of him, especially during his illness.
        And he gave you all his love in return.  This shows
        just how horrible HCM is, and how quickly it can turn.  We do the best we
        can, but eventually it wins. But your little boy is healthy again now and
        waiting for you at the Bridge -- I know we will see our little ones again.

        When you feel up to it, please post a memorial to him on our site
        http://www.AngelKitties.com -- we'd love to see his photo and hear how you
        met.  All kitties are welcome, no matter how long they've been in heaven.

        Sincerely,  Michelle, Susie Q & Tigger Too in Toronto

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2013
          How well I know the grief you are enduring. It is unbearable. I hope you will be able to find comfort in time.
          Rose, don't torture yourself with regard to what you may have missed. I don't believe you missed anything. My 8 year old Izzy had been to the cardio 2 days before, and at that exam he was considered stable. Nevertheless, although Izzy did not throw a clot, he died in similar circumstances to your beloved Rufus.
          This killer of our cats is just insidious.
           Marianna

          My heart is aching as I write this .. my beautiful 9-year-old HCM baby threw a clot about 5 a.m. Sunday morning.  We rushed him to the vet within minutes, but there was nothing they could do.  His lungs had filled with fluid and he was yowling in pain.  We had to let him go, even though I wished with all my heart he could stay many more years.  He was my shadow from the time we brought him home from the shelter on Dec 27, 2004.  I wonder if I missed some signs that he was not well in the days or weeks before this happened, but he was with me almost constantly, sleeping by my side at night.  I am barely able to sleep a couple of hours and I keep looking for him everywhere.  The pain is unbearable.
        • Wendy Solem
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2013
            Dear Rose,

            I lost my Tino almost the exact same way.  It was 5 am and I rushed him to the ER (only 5 mins away) and there was nothing to be done and I made the same decision.  I had to release him from his pain too.  I understand all too well how horrible you feel, I always go back to the signs I may have missed,  but there really were none.  I believe with all my heart that what you did was to give him a wonderful and loving home.
            You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Hopefully with time, your memories will bring you smiles again of the wonderful life you gave him when you rescued him from that shelter, and how much love he had.  Sending hugs,
            Wendy

            On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:33 PM, Wendy Solem <wsolem3@...> wrote:
            Oh my God do I understand this,

            I lost my beloved Tino the same way.  5 am -  a blood clot.  The ER was 5 mins away, I rushed him over and I had the same situation.  The only solace I can provide is that the pain is gone, he is free of any pain.

            I am so very sorry for your loss, I understand the heartbreak and my heart breaks for you. Please know that you and Rufus are in my thoughts and prayers.  Until you meet again, sending many virtual hugs your way.

            Take good care of yourself now,
            Wendy

            On Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:08 PM, "mmayer11@..." <mmayer11@...> wrote:

[...]

          • marycayd
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 15, 2013
              Rose, so sorry to hear about your kitty.  Please don’t second guess your decision, we do what we know our babies need & it isn’t always easy, but it’s for their benefit.

              Hugs & prayers in your time of grief.

              Marycay

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 15, 2013
                Oh Rose . . . I am so sorry for you sudden lost.    My heart breaks with you.     So I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that you gave your baby a life of unconditional love and that is the very best we can do for our fur babies.

                We will keep you in our paw prayers.

                Hugs and kitty kisses,
                Jordan and Sheba