questions about usage of coq10

  • Maria Lebruto
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2013
      Hello Everyone,

      I joined this group about a year ago when my big boy Tedy had his first echo after the discovery of a grade 2 heart murmur and have been lurking here ever since.

       Tedy's about 9 or 10 years and FIV +. I took him off the street 6 years ago. His first echo showed very slight left ventricular enlargement but not enough to be put on meds. I had a second echo done 4 months later right before a dental cleaning, this time by a different and board certified  cartiologist, dr Laste, who is also the director of cardiology at Angell Memorial here in boston. She's very knowledgable, thorough, and I like her a lot. Anyway, this echo did not show any enlargement so we were told to bring him back in 9 months for a recheck, which would be around now. He was also due for a regular vet check a week ago. When we went I was really shocked to hear his murmur had increased to 3-4 because he's been fine, no apparent symptons, I monitor his breathing counts and they are always ok. He needs a dental again too so I took him right away to Dr Laste for another echo. His ventricular numbers were the same, not enlarged, but slight atrial enlargement this time, so very mild hcm. She was disinclined to put him on enalipril at thiis point because of her concerns for effects on the kidney as he's an older boy, and we'll recheck in 6 months.

      About COq10,  she said she's open to non-traditonal things but feels there is no great medical evidence to support it's efficacy in this case.. That it's more for a dilated cardiomyopathy. the cardio strength website says it's recommended for cats with low cardio output, which she said doesn't apply to Tedy.
       I would probably give it to Tedy anyway since I've read some recommendations from this group except for the part about not being able to stop it suddenly. I live alone and would worry everytime I had to get someone else to feed him if I went on vacation or worked late that it would be skipped.

      Does anyone here not give the COq10? Does anyone just give taurine and l-carnitine? or something else? can feeding certain foods bolster COq levels (sardines, meat)? Has anyone sho does give it had a problem with missing a dose or stopping too soon? I want to make the best decision for Tedy but am not sure what to do.

      I appreciate any input you can give!
      thanks,
      Maria, Tedy and Timmy

    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 13, 2013
        I'd feel a lot better if he was on atenolol -----

        My Tigger is 9 and has been on atenolol since he was 6 months old, he's just fine, can't even tell he's sick.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2013
          Hi,

          So atenolol is for hypertension correct? Since Tedy's blood pressure measured normal is that why my vet didn't prescribe it? I'm sorry for my ignorance and thanks for your thoughts. I will call her about this but need more info so I know what I'm talking about. Thanks for your help!
          Also, do you use the cardio strength/co q10 coctail as well?

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2013
            Atenolol is typically used to regulate the heart rate and in some cases for hypertension.  Amlodipine is usually used for hypertension.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2013

              Atenolol slows the heart rate a tiny bit, giving it more time to rest between beats.  Most kitties on this list are on it.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2013
                Hi

                I have given CoQ10 to all my heart kittens from being diagnosed and some have had it for 7 years now. I used to give the Cardiostrength until it became too expensive to ship in and now I buy CoQ online. If my cats are hospitalised I give the vet the CoQ 10 to give them daily